Discuss Rem 110 trap fitment issues. cast, comb, LOP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Discuss Rem 110 trap fitment issues. cast, comb, LOP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Discuss Rem 110 trap fitment issues. cast, comb, LOP

I have a mid 80s 1100 trap. I like the gun for the most part and can likely hit well with it if I can dial it in for me. Most of my questions surround what the right mount should be for the butt pad to my shoulder, and what I should see down the barrel, as well as how much my head should move to the butt for the cheek weld? I know it is a trap with less drop to shoot high. the question is, is that the right play today? I don't find myself hitting on the rise of the clay, but rather waiting for them to crest or fall. I think mostly to give me more time to acquire the target. something I realize is an issue.

I have wider shoulders and find that if I mount the gun blind where it feels right, I need to tilt my head to the side about 1". Even then, my sight pins on the vent rip are not aligned. I can move the gun in on my shoulder a bit but that is not natural for me.

As well, for proper leveling where the pins are aligned, I need to move the butt up about 1.5" or almost half off of my shoulder. I am a LEFTY shooting a RH gun but I do not think this gun has any factory cast in it.

The real issue here is I am just not sure if a gun that is designed to NOT shoot where I look is right for me? However, I can certainly see where this could work well for trap in that if you are on target, you may not see the target because you are leading it.

Thoughts and ideas? As well, if adjustments are needed, I would like to do my own. I was considering machining an adjustable butt plate but they seem cheap enough to buy. I was also considering adjusting the angle on the butt/receiver union to add more drop and maybe a little cast? Or will that not work? I think I may want to add an adjustable butt plate so I can setup for trap, then also setup for sporting or hunting.

EDIT: to add to my post, I was testing a bit with my mount with this gun and determined that most of my problem (I think) is the radical low cast. It was my understanding the beads should almost stack or one right above the other. The only way I get that sight picture is to mount the gun to where it actually feels right on the cheek, the barrel looks pretty well aligned, but the butt pad feels unnaturally high. It could be the angle of it too but the pad sticks up about 1" over my shoulder. Again, gun feels decent everywhere else. I am surprised to see the cast looking pretty decent but I really think a touch of comb adjust would add to my confidence since I think I have to work a bit to get it to align.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
I have a mid 80s 1100 trap. I like the gun for the most part and can likely hit well with it if I can dial it in for me. Most of my questions surround what the right mount should be for the butt pad to my shoulder, and what I should see down the barrel, as well as how much my head should move to the butt for the cheek weld? I know it is a trap with less drop to shoot high. the question is, is that the right play today? I don't find myself hitting on the rise of the clay, but rather waiting for them to crest or fall. I think mostly to give me more time to acquire the target. something I realize is an issue.

I have wider shoulders and find that if I mount the gun blind where it feels right, I need to tilt my head to the side about 1". Even then, my sight pins on the vent rip are not aligned. I can move the gun in on my shoulder a bit but that is not natural for me.

As well, for proper leveling where the pins are aligned, I need to move the butt up about 1.5" or almost half off of my shoulder. I am a LEFTY shooting a RH gun but I do not think this gun has any factory cast in it.

The real issue here is I am just not sure if a gun that is designed to NOT shoot where I look is right for me? However, I can certainly see where this could work well for trap in that if you are on target, you may not see the target because you are leading it.

Thoughts and ideas? As well, if adjustments are needed, I would like to do my own. I was considering machining an adjustable butt plate but they seem cheap enough to buy. I was also considering adjusting the angle on the butt/receiver union to add more drop and maybe a little cast? Or will that not work? I think I may want to add an adjustable butt plate so I can setup for trap, then also setup for sporting or hunting.

EDIT: to add to my post, I was testing a bit with my mount with this gun and determined that most of my problem (I think) is the radical low cast. It was my understanding the beads should almost stack or one right above the other. The only way I get that sight picture is to mount the gun to where it actually feels right on the cheek, the barrel looks pretty well aligned, but the butt pad feels unnaturally high. It could be the angle of it too but the pad sticks up about 1" over my shoulder. Again, gun feels decent everywhere else. I am surprised to see the cast looking pretty decent but I really think a touch of comb adjust would add to my confidence since I think I have to work a bit to get it to align.
Without seeing your overall size and build, a specific answer is not something I can give, but I'll take a shot in the dark here.

First, take the middle bead right off the vent rib. You don't really need it to shoot trap well. Secondly, as to the LOP, you can make spacers by cutting and shaping pieces of a laundry detergent bottle and inserting them between the recoil pad and the butt stock. You may need longer screws, and you will need a few of these spacers to make the fit right for you, but if you combine them with a thicker pad the gun will fit you better. And finally, If the comb is too low, look for a comb attachment used for scoped slug guns, and shave it down some to fit you better. Find one made to fit an 870, and it should work on your 1100.

Hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1520 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post

I would go to the goodwill for a used sheet. Make a mark on the sheet. Get some cheap #8 birdshot. @ about 25 yards shoot at the mark on the sheet until you shoot a hole in the sheet. You will know where the point of impact is located. Adjust the stock to correct the point of impact. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun. If the stock makes you shoot unnaturally it will affect the point of impact.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

I think the primary question I am asking here is should the gun shoot high for trap? Is that a typical setup today? If so, how high is normal?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

Most people who are serious about trap like a 60/40 or 70/30 high pattern. A trap gun can be made to shoot high looking right down the rib with the beads superimposed. Or the gun can be made so you are looking down on the rib. You need to get some paper - construction paper from Lowes works - and go out, throw the gun up, or premount it if that is how you normally shoot, and shoot it and see where it prints for you. Do it several times. Then you know what you need for stock adjustment, if any. Dry mounting doesn't tell you much unless you know the gun shoots to POA and you have a long practiced consistent mount.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You definitely want to try the gun several times. In this area sporting clays are very popular. there are only a few trap tournaments. The trap tournaments are all for experienced competitors.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

I don't have any intentions of competitive shooting but that does not mean I don't desire to improve my gun and shooting to as good as it can be. I am competitive in nature anyway.

My thoughts were to determine how people usually setup their shotguns for each type of shoot and determine if I can convert the 1100 back and forth for different setups. Maybe barrel swap, adjust butt plate, etc. Most of our shooting would likely be trap off an automated wobble house.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If you're not going to compete I would get a gun fitted to the point of impact. When I shoot skeet or doves, stuff that flies level I cover it with the rib. When I am shooting trap, quail or woodcock things that rise I cover them with the barrel. I do pretty well on game. On the field I do about as well as any of the geezers with health issues.