Different Russian Slug - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Different Russian Slug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2163 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Smaller frontal area, less prone to deformation.....I'd like to see penetration tests at 50 yards.
Designed to be fired from smoothbores, it might be a 50 yard max type of deal by their reckoning.

BTW, their 3 inch mags run 1575 to 1770 FPS.
If steel slugs perform like steel shot they will lose their velocity quicker than a lead projectile.

Federal Fusion sabots are a true 120 yard projectile. The 2 3/4" Fusion sabot weighs 7/8 oz or 383 grains. It comes out of the muzzle at 1600 fps and has a velocity of 1180 fps at 120 yards creating 1180 ft lb of energy. The Fusion sabot drops 5" at 120 yards. The Federal Fusion sabot can be found for less than $10 for 5 rounds, about the same cost as the DDpleks slug. Compared to most effective hunting sabots the Fusion is low recoil.

Federal also makes a 3" version of the Fusion that is a hard hitting load. Personally if I am going to shoot a 3" slug I am going with the Winchester XP3. The XP3 is very comparable to a 45/70 in both range and energy. The Xp3 sends a 300 gr sabot downrange at over 2,200 fps and is very accurate in my Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel. I would imagine the XP3 sabot would rival most entry level bolt action rifles from a Browning A Bolt or a Savage bolt action slug gun. I am shooting under 2" groups with the Mossberg 500 and a 4x fixed power scope at 100 yards. I am hitting the bullseye too with the 500, not a group 3 or 4 inches away from the bullseye.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-23-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #12

Liked 309 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Steel is steel but I bet projectile shape and mass has a bit to do with things. I'd expect the Dupleks to lose V fast, but maybe carry sufficiently to ??? (notice I asked for penetration tests in prev post at 50 yards, not 100).

In the old ads they showed guys shooting the slugs from overunders. My guess is that those were smoothbores, and maybe not even of rifle sighting. Within 50 yards maybe the steel has enough oomph. Dunno, we haven't tested them (hmmmm, sounds like a good range day coming up).

I live in a "used to be" slug only state.

Tuned 870s with WW HI Supremes were under 2" @100 yards. Trigger jobs, bought slugs from one lot #, and tested for fouling/cleaning intervals.

So I have a bit of knowledge in what it truly takes to get good repeatable groups from a slug gun. Also had a few Mossbergs. Usable, maybe even better in smoothbore than others.............but they aint all that great. My pumps good enough I see no need for a slower system (like a bolt slugger).

Flubbed a shot once, quick second saved the day (pump rig). I have smoked several deer on drives or on the run, with pump guns, but there the first and followups were on the money

I just shoot til their nose hits the dirt if I don't see obvious impact location.

Guys blew me crap over all the holes. I don't care. Deer rode to check-in in my vehicle, didn't feed the yotes or was taken by next door slobs.

Last edited by Hookeye; 07-23-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Steel is steel but I bet projectile shape and mass has a bit to do with things. I'd expect the Dupleks to lose V fast, but maybe carry sufficiently to ??? (notice I asked for penetration tests in prev post at 50 yards, not 100).

In the old ads they showed guys shooting the slugs from overunders. My guess is that those were smoothbores, and maybe not even of rifle sighting. Within 50 yards maybe the steel has enough oomph. Dunno, we haven't tested them (hmmmm, sounds like a good range day coming up).

I live in a "used to be" slug only state.

Tuned 870s with WW HI Supremes were under 2" @100 yards. Trigger jobs, bought slugs from one lot #, and tested for fouling/cleaning intervals.

So I have a bit of knowledge in what it truly takes to get good repeatable groups from a slug gun. Also had a few Mossbergs. Usable, maybe even better in smoothbore than others.............but they aint all that great. My pumps good enough I see no need for a slower system (like a bolt slugger).

Flubbed a shot once, quick second saved the day (pump rig). I have smoked several deer on drives or on the run, with pump guns, but there the first and followups were on the money

I just shoot til their nose hits the dirt if I don't see obvious impact location.

Guys blew me crap over all the holes. I don't care. Deer rode to check-in in my vehicle, didn't feed the yotes or was taken by next door slobs.
Can you go on about tuning an 870?

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #14

Liked 309 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Trigger job, low scope mount (high comb stock, D&T receiver), tighten bbl to receiver fit (if needed).
I don't like dual purpose rigs.............deer shotguns stayed deer shotguns, so could get by with proper stocks for scope usage and better triggers.

Cuz runs my older 870. Traded my other one off.

Nowadays I shoot a rifle.

Last edited by Hookeye; 07-24-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #15

Liked 253 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Default too much tissue damage for a hunting situation IMO

Man those slugs look like they would deliver exessive amounts of unnecessary trauma and would just add to unusable meat IMO you hit a deer in the neck with a 12ga slug it is going down and it aint gonna get back up!
Now OTOH
I think these were designed less for hunting and more designed as tactical man stoppers targeteting sales generated by the zomby apocylapse fanatics .

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #16

Liked 253 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 321

on second thought I can see where this slug would be useful for using on dangerous animals like bear. Within its useful range this round should be very effective at stopping a angry griz dead in its tracks.
I see where it can have the advantage over a conventional slug.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2695 Times on 1873 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Keyboard takes anything. Why not just try and see?
The manufacturer is In Latvia, not Russia. Their ammo should keep coming, unless it is a Russian subsidiary.