Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Different 12 gauge loads using everyday objects. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/different-12-gauge-loads-using-everyday-objects-15055/)

Hey-you-guys 06-23-2009 10:09 PM

Different 12 gauge loads using everyday objects.

I just got a new 12 gauge reloader but the only shot that I could find at the time was birdshot. I was thinking about BBs, large ball bearings, rock salt, thumb tacks, Skittles, stuff like that. Any suggestions?

Virginian 06-24-2009 01:22 AM

Yeah, I have a suggestion. Read a reloading manual. And don't load anything but lead shot unless you get the special ingredients to load anything else, or you will doubtless produce a mess of some ilk.

robocop10mm 06-24-2009 01:46 AM

Anything but purpose made shot can cause bad things to happen. BB's are generally copper plated steel. Ball bearings, steel. Steel does not deform like lead shot and WILL cause wild pressure spikes inside the barrel. Steel shot loads require wads that compensate for the uncompressing natuire of the shot, powder types and weights that do not cause those spikes to damage the gun (Face) and special loading considerations that you probably do not want to mess with.

Tacks can/will scratch even a steel shot rated barrel. Don't do it.

Rock salt requires a very light load to prevent the salt from turning to dust and losing any range. You do not want salt residue in your barrel, it will cause rapid rust.

Skittles? They will compress/deform excessively in any but the lightest loads. Their lack of density will cause them to lose energy very rapidly.

In my younger days I loaded many "unconventional" payloads into shot gun shells. Most were a complete waste of time and probably caused irreparable damage to my Rem 870 (sold it years ago). About the only worthwhile load we came up with was 1 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot was devastating on large flocks of birds sitting on the ground (I know illegal and stupid but that was 30 years ago and I have grown out of it)

mossberg kid 06-24-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 120940)
About the only worthwhile load we came up with was 1 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot was devastating on large flocks of birds sitting on the ground (I know illegal and stupid but that was 30 years ago and I have grown out of it)

Sounds like a winner in my book lol.:D

Minionsram 06-24-2009 11:02 PM

Listen to these fellers Hey. Go buy a reloading manual and read it. If the items to use are not in that book do not use them.

Hey-you-guys 06-25-2009 02:02 AM

Alright thanks guys. I haven't read the manual yet but will do.

matt g 06-25-2009 05:20 AM

Stupid and dangerous. My 2 cents.

CA357 06-25-2009 03:50 PM

Welcome here.

These guys know what they're talking about. My suggestion is to listen to them. You don't want to be nominated for a Darwin Award. ;)

suprdave 07-01-2009 05:09 PM

Skittles...Good one!

Supercharged86 07-08-2009 01:47 PM

Well, at least with the Skittles you'll have something to eat if you get lost in the woods.:D