Difference between skeet, trap and clays - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Difference between skeet, trap and clays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
If you get technical, then yes, station 1 and 7 have outgoing shots...BUT, they come from behind you and one is falling and one is rising. Trap does not present either of those shots. In trap the trap house is 16 yards in front of you.
Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
And trap is really boring. I have to force myself to shoot trap. I shoot trap with a 28 ga. Skeet is exciting because it is easy to find 4 or 5 shooters who will shoot for $20 a round. That pot is not easy to win. You have to get lucky to win with 24. No one gambles on trap. We have shooters that will break 200 straight with a 12ga. We just as well pay them and save our ammo.

Right now I am stuck shooting a pistol. I am getting injections in my left elbow. I do shoot a round of skeet here and there but my elbow gives out by station 5. The doctor is very optimistic. Every ultrasound looks better.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

RKB Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #22

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I have shot very little trap and skeet. I shot a ton of sporting clays when I was dating my ex. That was a lot of fun. I would like to get more into organized shot gunning. We have a couple nice throwers between me and my buddies so we can mix up trajectory etc.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

in the early 1990's when i moved back to Houston Texas after my divorce, no too long after that a friend got me on, working at Briley Manufactering. lots of gun nuts at that place!

now many who are into shotguns and shotgun shooting know who Briley is. those not familiar with them...........

http://www.briley.com/

well my job there was operating a CNC lathe that made shotgun choke tubes. not the most glamorous job for working on guns! but the pay was decent and i was around guns and gun guys all day long.

now when and where i grew up hunting, not a lot us really were into bird hunting or concentrated on nice or fancy shotguns. rifles were just more prized among those among family and friends and hunting was centered around rifles.

now not too long after going to work there, i began to notice that many in the shop wer really big into shotguns and their hunting and shooting centered more around shotguns than other firearms. for me it was a new gun culture.

well some of the guys i worked with got me into going to shoot sporting clays as i had never really heard of before and certainly never had done it before. Wow! most fun i had ever had shooting a shotgun and was i hooked. i loved shooting sporting clays.

my first shotgun i bought for shooting sporting clays was a Remington 870 Express combo rig i got at Academy Sports. well it worked and i used it for a short time, until i noticed the majority were using O/U's. one of the guys i worked with, let me try out his Winchester 101. Wow! what a difference. i ended up buying that shotgun as he was trying to sell it to upgrade to something a bit nicer. i shot with for while, until one of my buddies let me try out his Browning Citori. Wow again! now i liked the 101, but i loved the Citori! i had to have one. we hit the gun shows and my buddy that i worked with who had the Citori helped me locate a really nice one at a good price. back in the early 1990's a guy could find a nice used Citori at the gun shows from about $600-1000 depending on the particular gun and the accessories with it. pretty soon i found another really nice one for a decent price in 20 ga as well to add with the other one in 12 ga. the Citori's are about the nicest shotgun that works well for me that i can afford. well made and very pleasing to the eye as well.

well i got to where i was going to shoot sporting clays just about every weekend, many times shooting both saturday and sunday. i spent a small fortune in shells and range fees! but, it was money well spent.

now i never was good enough consistenly to ever go into competition and i always tried to be a better shooter and much of what i learned was by watching other shooters better than myself and lots of trial and error. but loved the sport. i enjoyed the shooting and it was something that gave me much satisfaction.

now i have never shot one round of trap or skeet in my life, but i have shot a fair amount of sporting clays. if a person likes shooting shotguns a lot, and they have a sporting clays range close by, you should go and do a few rounds. it's a lot of fun.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #24

Liked 326 Times on 181 Posts

John, that's funny. You move to pistols because of a bad elbow and I moved from pistols to skeet because of a bad elbow, my left. I had tennis elbow surgery 1 month ago. Hurts like hell, then and now.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #25
RKB

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Here's hoping both of your elbow problems get better.
In the meantime, shoot what you can! It's all about burning powder.
Bill

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 102

IMHO - Sporting clays is harder because if you are the first shooter in line, you have no idea where the bird is coming from. You can change choke to influence your range or shot selection.

I remember one station of sporting clays at LL bean. They used a natural draw w bushes so you didn't see the bird until approx 30 yds - and I had IC in my Browning auto from the last station. I missed and then the guy running the range told me to switch to Modified 4" lead and I broke the bird. Taught me a good lesson.

You may not be able to buy experience but if you are willing to listen, you can learn from others who have it.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-13-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
IMHO - Sporting clays is harder because if you are the first shooter in line, you have no idea where the bird is coming from. You can change choke to influence your range or shot selection.

I remember one station of sporting clays at LL bean. They used a natural draw w bushes so you didn't see the bird until approx 30 yds - and I had IC in my Browning auto from the last station. I missed and then the guy running the range told me to switch to Modified 4" lead and I broke the bird. Taught me a good lesson.

You may not be able to buy experience but if you are willing to listen, you can learn from others who have it.
spend a few more cents and use the show pair

Old 05-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #28

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

I have never been on a range where they charged you for one show pair for the group on each station. But of course I haven't been to them all, and don't think I want to now.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 368 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 611

I have never heard of paying for a view pair either.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #30
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 368 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
a friend got me on, working at Briley Manufactering. lots of gun nuts at that place!
I think it would be very cool to work in a gun place. I can imagine the talk around the break table.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Axxe55 Likes This