Difference between skeet, trap and clays - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Difference between skeet, trap and clays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 207 Posts

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1399855647.105738.jpg

Trap is a game where you shoot clays going away from you. They come out of the central trap house and move away from you from low to high. The trap moves left and right inside the house and sends birds out within a defined arc. So, they might come out a little left or straight or a little right. See the picture. The trap shooter stands on the line and takes turns shooting in that line, then rotate to the next station. So, in general, shots taken going away from you are 'trap-ish' in nature. Skeet is a game of side to side shots with nothing going directly away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-12-2014, 03:12 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2113 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Stations 1 & 7 in skeet have clays going directly away from you. You stand under the tower at station 1 and right beside the tower at station 7.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 AM   #13

Liked 362 Times on 207 Posts

Default Difference between skeet, trap and clays

If you get technical, then yes, station 1 and 7 have outgoing shots...BUT, they come from behind you and one is falling and one is rising. Trap does not present either of those shots. In trap the trap house is 16 yards in front of you.

Last edited by indy36; 05-12-2014 at 03:49 AM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #14
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 599 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 1225

The only other thing I might add is 5-Stand is somewhat similar to Sporting Clay's.

If your ever in the Tulsa area reach out and if I am open, I will treat you to a good taste of all of them.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #15
I used to play keyboards, but now...

Liked 2359 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, and 5-Stand are all distinctly different games. The length of your shot, the angle of your shot, the chokes used, etc aren't the same in each. The Internet will tell you everything you need to know. I shoot 95% skeet so I'm partial to that. I didn't like trap. I love 5-Stand but the closest place to shoot it to me is over an hour away. I've never shot sporting clays but I will. It's the golf of shotgun games. You walk around for 2 hours stopping along the way to shoot various targets and you'll shoot a lot more shells than a round of trap or skeet.

If you can find a range with a combined field (both trap and skeet on same field), you can run "Poor Man's 5-Stand". The thrower randomly chooses High House, Low House or Trap (with 3 random directions). We have fun with that at the FTF Shoot & Hoots. Next one is in October if any are interested!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva209x50 View Post
So if I have the thrower set to chuck clays in the same direction every time, it's trap?
No, trap machines randomize among 3 trajectories: left, straight and right. To make it more interesting you shoot trap from a series of locations behind the trap house.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 05-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
That is why you wear hearing protection unless you want to be deaf at the age of 50. Get a nice set of ear muffs. The ear plugs are OK in a pinch but they don't offer the same level of protection. You can get a decent pair of ear muffs at walmart for $20. It's the best $20 you will ever spend.
Actually, you will get better noise reduction from a good set of earplugs. With muffs you run the risk of displacing them as you get your cheek weld. Earplugs (properly inserted) can provide 32-33 dBA reduction. Most muffs (especially the fancy electronic ones) run about 24-25 dBA.

Most people do not insert plugs properly. That can lead to the mistaken impression that plugs don't work very well.

Roll them into a thin tube. Insert deeply into the ear canal before it expands back to size. The tube should go entirely into the ear canal. Hold the plug in place until it has expanded to fill the ear canal. If you see any more than the "top" surface of the plug extending beyond the ear canal, you have not inserted the tube far enough. You will notice a big reduction in surrounding noise as the plug expands. Repeat for the other ear.

People with some hearing damage already may be well advised to use both plugs and muffs. Hearing damage is permanent.

Balota

Last edited by Balota; 05-12-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #18

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
OK. but from a "regulated" standpoint, it's trap, right?
no no no no no

Old 05-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #19

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
OK. but from a "regulated" standpoint, it's trap, right?
no you need to be at least 16 yds behind the thrower to start with

Old 05-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #20

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Actually, you will get better noise reduction from a good set of earplugs. With muffs you run the risk of displacing them as you get your cheek weld. Earplugs (properly inserted) can provide 32-33 dBA reduction. Most muffs (especially the fancy electronic ones) run about 24-25 dBA.

Most people do not insert plugs properly. That can lead to the mistaken impression that plugs don't work very well.

Roll them into a thin tube. Insert deeply into the ear canal before it expands back to size. The tube should go entirely into the ear canal. Hold the plug in place until it has expanded to fill the ear canal. If you see any more than the "top" surface of the plug extending beyond the ear canal, you have not inserted the tube far enough. You will notice a big reduction in surrounding noise as the plug expands. Repeat for the other ear.

People with some hearing damage already may be well advised to use both plugs and muffs. Hearing damage is permanent.
I use the ear pro sonic defenders by surefire. I use the 26nrr passives. I'm noise sensitive and I can shoot just about anything if I use those plugs. I can hear footsteps out to 40 yards and normal conversation out to 8 yards.