Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Difference between skeet, trap and clays (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/difference-between-skeet-trap-clays-106924/)

cva209x50 05-11-2014 12:50 PM

Difference between skeet, trap and clays

What's the difference between clays, trap and skeet?

The one I shoot is :

One thrower set up next to me with the clays flying away from me at about a 45 to 50 degree angle.

My record is 12 in a row.

winds-of-change 05-11-2014 01:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Skeet is when the clays are thrown from one side or the other, high coming down or low going up. (From a high house or a low house.)

Trap is when the clay is thrown going away from you but not side to side.

The clays are the flying targets.

I'm just learning this stuff myself. You are certainly much better at it than I am. LOL

c3shooter 05-11-2014 01:24 PM

Sporting clays has a much closer resemblance to hunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_clays

Last time I shot a round of sporting clays, I used a Remington 1100 Light Field in .410. I got 50% and was REAL proud of that! It has been said that Sporting Clays was created to teach humility. I agree!

indy36 05-11-2014 03:18 PM

Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, and 5-Stand are all distinctly different games. The length of your shot, the angle of your shot, the chokes used, etc aren't the same in each. The Internet will tell you everything you need to know. I shoot 95% skeet so I'm partial to that. I didn't like trap. I love 5-Stand but the closest place to shoot it to me is over an hour away. I've never shot sporting clays but I will. It's the golf of shotgun games. You walk around for 2 hours stopping along the way to shoot various targets and you'll shoot a lot more shells than a round of trap or skeet.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

winds-of-change 05-11-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1573929)
Sporting clays has a much closer resemblance to hunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_clays

Last time I shot a round of sporting clays, I used a Remington 1100 Light Field in .410. I got 50% and was REAL proud of that! It has been said that Sporting Clays was created to teach humility. I agree!

Oops. Thanks for correcting me. I was obviously unaware. :o

That's pretty damned good for shooting it with a .410. Both times I've shot at Bobski's I use a .410 and I actually hit some clays AND I didn't come in last. Next time I'm going to be shooting my very own youth model 20 gauge.

cva209x50 05-11-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy36 (Post 1573985)
Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, and 5-Stand are all distinctly different games. The length of your shot, the angle of your shot, the chokes used, etc aren't the same in each. The Internet will tell you everything you need to know. I shoot 95% skeet so I'm partial to that. I didn't like trap. I love 5-Stand but the closest place to shoot it to me is over an hour away. I've never shot sporting clays but I will. It's the golf of shotgun games. You walk around for 2 hours stopping along the way to shoot various targets and you'll shoot a lot more shells than a round of trap or skeet.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

So if I have the thrower set to chuck clays in the same direction every time, it's trap?

cva209x50 05-11-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1573995)
Oops. Thanks for correcting me. I was obviously unaware. :o

That's pretty damned good for shooting it with a .410. Both times I've shot at Bobski's I use a .410 and I actually hit some clays AND I didn't come in last. Next time I'm going to be shooting my very own youth model 20 gauge.

Those little youth 20 gauge shotguns are loud. I still have my youth 870 express 20 gauge and it's louder than my a300 Beretta 12 gauge. I looked it up online and a 20 gauge shotgun with a 28" barrel is 1 decibel louder than a 12 gauge shotgun with the same length barrel. :confused:

Virginian 05-11-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

So if I have the thrower set to chuck clays in the same direction every time, it's trap?
Just how did you get that from the responses? What you are doing is shooting clay pigeons. Some call it pasture clays. It is not a registered form of shotgun sport, but it is fun.

cva209x50 05-12-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian (Post 1574027)
Just how did you get that from the responses? What you are doing is shooting clay pigeons. Some call it pasture clays. It is not a registered form of shotgun sport, but it is fun.

OK. but from a "regulated" standpoint, it's trap, right?

John_Deer 05-12-2014 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cva209x50 (Post 1574010)

It's a guy in a field having fun, nothing more or nothing less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cva209x50 (Post 1574013)
Those little youth 20 gauge shotguns are loud. I still have my youth 870 express 20 gauge and it's louder than my a300 Beretta 12 gauge. I looked it up online and a 20 gauge shotgun with a 28" barrel is 1 decibel louder than a 12 gauge shotgun with the same length barrel. :confused:

That is why you wear hearing protection unless you want to be deaf at the age of 50. Get a nice set of ear muffs. The ear plugs are OK in a pinch but they don't offer the same level of protection. You can get a decent pair of ear muffs at walmart for $20. It's the best $20 you will ever spend.