Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Defensive shotgunning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default Defensive shotgunning

I watched a firearms show episode about a year ago and am giving it much more thought as of late. I was wanting some of your informed opinions on what the show talked about.

It was on the usefullness of a shotgun for everything from rabbit hunting to SD and HD situations. It actually made a lot of sence. A shotgun can be used for close in fighting like in your home with buck shot loads, but then still have the durability to hit targets out to 100-150 yards with rifled slugs...all out of the same barrel. So, my question is this...with all the talk about SHTF firearms, why is the shotgun not looked at more closely than it is?

The only down side I can see is that ammo is quite bulky and magazine capacity is somewhat limited by the tube. Is there anyother reason that I am not seeing or is this pretty much it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The reasons you mentioned are some of the biggest reasons. Two other reasons I can think of are, a shotgun can be bulky and difficult to wield in a house, and using buck shot in a house will not only hit the inteneded target, but also over penetrate and who knows what else the buck shot will hit.

I use a shotgun for everything from skeet shooting to home defense. A shotgun is in my opinion the most versatile firearm there is, because like you mentioned there's birdshot, buckshot, slugs, and a variety of other shells it can utilize. It has its faults, but I think it's advantages out weigh (in most situations) its disadvantages.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I would agree with you! To me a shotgun is sort of a do it all weapon. Shooting sports, hunting and self defense. I bought my wife a Browning BPS 20 gauge Micro. She like to go out with me a shoot a few clay targets. It's a great little gun and also serves as our primary home defense weapon. I keep it loaded with #4 Federal buckshot HD loads. One hit with 24 pellets is equal to two 44 mag strikes!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8588 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

A short barreled shotgun is a highly effective people killer, plain and simple. That;s why it has been used in combat from the War of 1812 on thru today. However, when you start catching fire from the woodline at 150 meters, and all you have is buckshot, not gonna be a good day. Bulk and weight of ammo are the big restrictions, limited magazine another. But it is a critical component of a good "basic battery".

If I could only have one firearm, it would be a 12 g pump with a 24 inch barrel.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #5

Would it be safe to say that the shotgun would be an ideal choice for a bug in situation? A situation that was like what we seen in New Orleans during Katrina...where the best option was to stay static and not to draw extra attention to yourself. I would also say that a good sidearm would be warrented to accompany the shotgun?

If it was a different scenerio and you had to move maybe in an open area or in a urban environment, something else may be a better choice such as a battle rifle or assault rifle?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You're correct. A shotgun is a great choice for a situation like that, because you can engage targets at close range and at long enough range with a slug if needed. A side arm would definately complement (and in my opinion is necessary) the shotgun.

If I was in an urban environment I would definatley want a shotgun, but if I was in an open or rural area I would want a rifle like an AK 47 or AK 74.

Here is my current shotgun set up: A mossberg 500 with a 20 in barrel, folding stock, and with a side saddle shell holder on the side.

When I'm at home I have my Springfield Mil Spec 1911a1 on a shoulder holster with my Ruger SR9c on my hip, and the Mossberg in my quick access gun cabinet. If I'm on my cousin's land If I don't have my Mossberg I have my AK 47 and the two sidearms I mentioned.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Would it be safe to say that the shotgun would be an ideal choice for a bug in situation? A situation that was like what we seen in New Orleans during Katrina...where the best option was to stay static and not to draw extra attention to yourself. I would also say that a good sidearm would be warrented to accompany the shotgun?

If it was a different scenerio and you had to move maybe in an open area or in a urban environment, something else may be a better choice such as a battle rifle or assault rifle?
The people of new orleans were disarmed by leos/military. Just sayin

Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #8

I did not hear about the people in NO being disarmed by LEOs until recently and I was wondering what, if anything, has been done about this? What I mean is there anyone that has filed a lawsuit against the police depts. or the state or whatever for their rights being stripped of them? I am really curious about this. Also, was there anyone jailed for refusing to give up their firearms?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I did not hear about the people in NO being disarmed by LEOs until recently and I was wondering what, if anything, has been done about this? What I mean is there anyone that has filed a lawsuit against the police depts. or the state or whatever for their rights being stripped of them? I am really curious about this. Also, was there anyone jailed for refusing to give up their firearms?
they were quickly sued and nagin lost. resulting in many southern states including LA enacting no confiscate emergency laws.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #10

Wow!!!! That is the best news I have heard all day...I like it!