Deer hunting with a Shotgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Deer hunting with a Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #21
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1621 Times on 995 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

00BK or slug is fine with a modified choke. With shot, the less restictive the choke, the wider the pattern. I grew up in N.C. and used both buck and slugs (depending on which shotty I was using), and both were effective at 25 to 45 yards, whice is a normal shooting distance in the woods. One thing to remember with slugs and a bead sight; point of aim is usually not point of impact. Fire three slugs at the same point of aim on the target (before hunting), see where they hit, and adjust your point of aim to compensate for this. If you hit three inches low, aim three inches high. This will put you on the intended kill zone 99% of the time. You may luck out and be dead on, but I have yet to be that lucky. The recoil, I have never felt it in the field when the gun was properly mounted. Good stance and proper mount and you will be fine. I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun, 'cause that's what it's all about!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't know about SC but here in NC buckshot is perfectly legal. I've taken deer with buckshot and slugs and while buckshot will do the job just fine I prefer a slug. A slug doesn't damage as much meat and hits HARD. There as already been some good advice given so I won't repeat it but I will say, if you can afford a rifle get one. Hunting big game with a shotgun is not my first choice and something I haven't done since I bought my first rifle.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #23

So I had no clue about this Hunters Education course when I went to get my License. So I didn't get to go hunting this weekend. However I did get to FINALLY put a few shells through my shotty. I've had this gun for 7 months and had yet to shoot it. Anyways I was just shooting at a cup on a stick and patterning out my shots. I was only shooting 2 3/4 target/bird shots and my shoulder is all bruised up, the recoil it self wasn't bad just the hard rubber butt stock. I shot 14 of my 20 shells I was going to finish off the box but my arm was killing me.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #24

Has any one ever used the 50 cal conversion barrel for the mossberg 500

Old 11-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken View Post
So I had no clue about this Hunters Education course when I went to get my License. So I didn't get to go hunting this weekend. However I did get to FINALLY put a few shells through my shotty. I've had this gun for 7 months and had yet to shoot it. Anyways I was just shooting at a cup on a stick and patterning out my shots. I was only shooting 2 3/4 target/bird shots and my shoulder is all bruised up, the recoil it self wasn't bad just the hard rubber butt stock. I shot 14 of my 20 shells I was going to finish off the box but my arm was killing me.
Try getting a good recoilpad to help soften it a little. While mossberg 500s are good, reliable guns every one I've ever shot kicks like a mule.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #26

Here's the awesome bruise I got, can't wait to see what I get from the Buckshot and slugs.

photo-102.jpg  

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #27
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1621 Times on 995 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

Nice bruise. Now for a homework assignment. Check to make sure your shotgun is UNLOADED, raise it into your normal shooting position, move the buttstock to the point that is in the middle of the space between your armpit and your neck. Without the gun, mock a shooting stance and bring the foreend hand over to the stock shoulder and press in toward your back. You will feel a hollow or depession there. That is where the recoil pad needs to go. When you mount your shotgun, pull it in tight to this area. This will reduce or prevent futher pain and bruises. Repeat the exercises as necesesary. Proper stance and mounting will prevent tenderizing your biceps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's not a bad bruise. Shoot a couple hundred rounds thru it and then show us.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #29

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

You'll get used to it

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP