Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Deer hunting with a Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

First- my DAUGHTER shoots trap with a 12 g. She weighs 115. As the man said- boxer stance, pull gun into shoulder SNUGLY. A recoil pad can help- but if it screws up the fit of the shotgun to you, not worth it. Firing in a standing position has less FELT recoil that shooting off a benchrest= body can recoil with the gun.

IF you use buckshot stick to 0 or 00. Your longest shot just became 40 yards. But it IS called buckshot for a good reason- it has taken a TON of deer. Now go shoot some.

Re: SC games regulations- call these folks- SCDNR Law Enforcement at (803) 734-4002. Legal firearm varies depending on which zone you are in- and type of hunting. One zone allows no buckshot for still hunting, but allows it when driving deer w/ dogs.

For the rest of you that are not FROM SC- many of the Eastern states do not permit the use of rifles in some areas- and some do not permit the use of slugs at all. Here in Virginia, in my home county I can use shotgun- buck or slugs- rifle .23 cal and larger, muzzle loader 45 cal and up, and handgun- 350 ft lbs and up. Cross over one river into the next county- shotguns w/ buckshot and muzzleloader rifles only.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #12

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

You want to use slugs when hunting deer, you want alot of knockdown power and a slug will deliver on that. Shot spreads out when it exits the barrel which reduces its effectiveness against deer. Look at it this way, the biggest shot available is "000" buck which is roughly the size of a .380 pistol slug. Would you go into the woods with a .380 and try to bag a big buck? If you would you would be wasting your time because all your gonna do is make him bleed a little, or scare him off at the least. You could get lucky with 00 or 000 buck but you'd have to be pretty close. Close enough that your shot doesnt spread out much. Your best bet is to go with slugs, if your gun is a smooth bore (no rifling in leymans terms) id go with cheap "pumpkin" ball slugs. They are like 5 or 6 bucks per box of 5, i have two smoothbore guns and a rifled shotgun. In the rifled gun i use remington coppersolid sabot slugs or hornady sst sabot slugs. The sabot slugs out of a rifled shotgun will go much further than pumpkin balls out of a smoothbore, they also alot harder and they are hollow point. I killed a doe a couple years ago and was able to recover my slug and it had opened up and flew through the deers lungs and clipped the spine. With the hollow point opening up it bored a hole nearly an inch and a half wide. The deer dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #13

Well, I talked to the guy I am going to be hunting with and he said to go with some 00 Buckshot's since I am inexperienced and with the area I will be in. As my first time I am not really expecting to kill my first Buck (the cynic in me), but more so learn everything I can about hunting.

I will be picking up some slugs in the near future, just not sure what slugs work best with a smooth bore, I don't have a lot of money to purchase a rifled barrel.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #14

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

if your barrel is a smooth bore go buy some 2 3/4' remington rifled slugs , they will do a fine job out to 100 yards , thats what I shoot and they have excellent stopping/ dropping power . I would rather use them over a sabot anyday , you just dont get the knock down from a sabot like you do all that lead in a rifled slug.

RECOIL
dont worry about it you wont even think about it when a deer is out in front of you , that will be the last thing on your mind
Not to mention with the 2 3/4 rifled slugs the recoil isnt that bad anyway , My 13 yr old has no problems or flinching using the 2 3/4 " slugs and never complains about it , just make sure you got the butt tucked in good , the only complaint he has ever had was not getting the butt buried in the right spot and gave him a little kicker
You can buy the remington rifled slugs all day long for less than $4 a box at walmart and I think a 20 pk box for around $12-14

Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #15

I am going to go pick up a box of the rifled slugs.

Which choke should I be using? Modified or Imported with both the 00 Buckshots and Slugs?

Anybody know anything about Buck Bomb? i've seen it around not sure what it does though.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Last edited by Hadouken; 10-31-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken View Post
I am going to go pick up a box of the rifled slugs.

Which choke should I be using? Modified or Imported with both the 00 Buckshots and Slugs?
Nothing against 00 buckshot , but that stuffs for home defense not for deer hunting as stated before . its good at most to 50 yards then its so spread out its pretty useless

My slug barrel doesnt have a choke its just that a smooth bore no choke slug barrel , I have a field barrel that takes chokes , if your going to shoot a rifled slug thru a choke ,let it be the modified choke . DO NOT USE A FULL CHOKE!!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #17

Just checked and the choke that came already on my Mossy was Mod.

Have to ask, What would happen is you shot a slug with a Full choke?

This is the exact model I have just making sure if the barrel is considered smooth and I am not mistake... I am pretty sure it isn't rifled but I just want to make sure.

-Voltaire

Last edited by Hadouken; 10-31-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
It would be uglier than salting the slug.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Just checked and the choke that came already on my Mossy was Mod.

This is the exact model I have just making sure if the barrel is considered smooth and I am not mistake... I am pretty sure it isn't rifled but I just want to make sure.
That isnt a rifled barrel , so your ok just use the modified choke , if you use a full choke it would be bad ,stretched barrel over time and possibly a split barrel and you dont wanna do ,that its not good for anyone

Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #20

Okay so it wouldn't blow up in my face is all I wanted to know, not that I would even try.

Okay so Mod with Slugs, and if by chance I don't pick up any slugs and keep my 00BK's should I stick with the mod or improved cylinder?

-Voltaire