Deer hunting with a Shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Deer hunting with a Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Deer hunting with a Shotgun

I have a Mossburg 500, and I have been planning on going hunting for a while now. I had put my Mossy in the back of my mind and thought about just purchasing a rifle either a 30.06 or a 30-30, that is until today. The main thing I have been worried about is the recoil from a Buckshot, I am not a recoil junkie so I'd like to reduce that as much as possible. For some reason when I think of a Buckshot I think recoil thats going to throw me about 5 feet back... don't know why. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For starters most people hunt deer or big game with slugs, not buckshot. You can get recoil reduced slugs. They wont knock you back 5 feet at all. Now if you were shooting 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch shells that's a little bit of a different story. I like recoil a lot and when I shoot 3 inche shells or 3 1/2 inch shells I don't get thrown back or have the crap kicked out of me. I get more of just a big push not a punch or smack.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

First lesson in shooting your shotgun is the proper stance. Otherwise you will probably not enjoy shooting it. The proper stance is what is called the Boxer Stance. You can Google the boxer stance for shooting the shotgun and probably find some photos and explanations. Start off with some bird shot until you confirm you have the proper stance and technique. Obviously you seem to be very new and not familiar with your shotgun. And that is fine! We all had to start somewhere. And no better place to ask assistance than here on the FTF. As far as Deer Hunting be sure your shotgun does not have a full choke barrel and I recomend slugs over 00 for deer. Work your way up to the 00 or Slugs. But the ballistics are good on a slug for shots on deer 100 yards and under. You may want to get a Deer Slug Barrel for your Mossy! They are very accurate.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I just read on the SCDNR site Buckshots are prohibited, so I am going to have to go with a Slug. Do the reduced recoil slugs have less killing power than a 3 inch? And If I did decided to go with a 3 in, if I bought a limb saver would that diminish some of the recoil as well?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #5

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

I shoot 2 3/4" slugs in mine. Recoil is not bad at all. Make sure you have the improved cylinder choke tube in.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #6

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Ive always been told that if you cant kill it with a 2 3/4 shell then you're not gonna kill it with a 3 or 3 1/2.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #7

Well, now the only thing is finding out whether my state (South Carolina) prohibits Bucks shots or Slugs. I've heard they don't and I have heard they do, can't find an exact answer and the DNR website just rambles on and on.

-Voltaire

Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

Trust me the 2 3/4 will kill em just as dead as the 3" magnum slugs, I have seen 7 deer meet their maker while using my mossy 500 with a fully rifled barrel, all of em have been up to 100 yards and with a well placed shot its usually DRT. As far a recoil goes while sighting in they kick pretty good, but when you have all your hunting clothes on and your veins are throbbing with that addictive drug called adrenaline you do not even notice it that much.

Gersty

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

My Advice?

Put the scatter gun down and step away!!!

If your state allows center fire rifles. THATS your ticket, get a .35, 06, dirty tirdy, etc.!

If not, go get a decent inline M/L like a CVA Wolf or some such.

Scatter guns are for BIRDS not cervids!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgersty View Post
Trust me the 2 3/4 will kill em just as dead as the 3" magnum slugs, I have seen 7 deer meet their maker while using my mossy 500 with a fully rifled barrel, all of em have been up to 100 yards and with a well placed shot its usually DRT. As far a recoil goes while sighting in they kick pretty good, but when you have all your hunting clothes on and your veins are throbbing with that addictive drug called adrenaline you do not even notice it that much.

Gersty
I am not that afraid of recoil, just thinking about it kinda gets to me. I am sure if I went to a range and shot off a couple of shells I won't care, but since I've never felt it all I can do is build it up in my head that it's bigger than it really is.

I believe my mossy's barrel is smooth, so that means no sabot slugs, guys at work are saying just go with the 00 Buckshot, it's what they use and works for the short distances i'll be in.

-Voltaire