Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Deer hunting with a Shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/deer-hunting-shotgun-50614/)

Hadouken 10-26-2011 07:30 PM

Deer hunting with a Shotgun

I have a Mossburg 500, and I have been planning on going hunting for a while now. I had put my Mossy in the back of my mind and thought about just purchasing a rifle either a 30.06 or a 30-30, that is until today. The main thing I have been worried about is the recoil from a Buckshot, I am not a recoil junkie so I'd like to reduce that as much as possible. For some reason when I think of a Buckshot I think recoil thats going to throw me about 5 feet back... don't know why. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Firearms4ever 10-26-2011 07:39 PM

For starters most people hunt deer or big game with slugs, not buckshot. You can get recoil reduced slugs. They wont knock you back 5 feet at all. Now if you were shooting 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch shells that's a little bit of a different story. I like recoil a lot and when I shoot 3 inche shells or 3 1/2 inch shells I don't get thrown back or have the crap kicked out of me. I get more of just a big push not a punch or smack.

Sniper03 10-26-2011 07:41 PM

First lesson in shooting your shotgun is the proper stance. Otherwise you will probably not enjoy shooting it. The proper stance is what is called the Boxer Stance. You can Google the boxer stance for shooting the shotgun and probably find some photos and explanations. Start off with some bird shot until you confirm you have the proper stance and technique. Obviously you seem to be very new and not familiar with your shotgun. And that is fine! We all had to start somewhere. And no better place to ask assistance than here on the FTF. As far as Deer Hunting be sure your shotgun does not have a full choke barrel and I recomend slugs over 00 for deer. Work your way up to the 00 or Slugs. But the ballistics are good on a slug for shots on deer 100 yards and under. You may want to get a Deer Slug Barrel for your Mossy! They are very accurate.

Hadouken 10-26-2011 07:49 PM

Thanks guys, I just read on the SCDNR site Buckshots are prohibited, so I am going to have to go with a Slug. Do the reduced recoil slugs have less killing power than a 3 inch? And If I did decided to go with a 3 in, if I bought a limb saver would that diminish some of the recoil as well?

jpattersonnh 10-26-2011 11:31 PM

I shoot 2 3/4" slugs in mine. Recoil is not bad at all. Make sure you have the improved cylinder choke tube in.

dragunovsks 10-26-2011 11:41 PM

Ive always been told that if you cant kill it with a 2 3/4 shell then you're not gonna kill it with a 3 or 3 1/2.

Hadouken 10-27-2011 04:37 AM

Well, now the only thing is finding out whether my state (South Carolina) prohibits Bucks shots or Slugs. I've heard they don't and I have heard they do, can't find an exact answer and the DNR website just rambles on and on.

cgersty 10-27-2011 07:39 PM

Trust me the 2 3/4 will kill em just as dead as the 3" magnum slugs, I have seen 7 deer meet their maker while using my mossy 500 with a fully rifled barrel, all of em have been up to 100 yards and with a well placed shot its usually DRT. As far a recoil goes while sighting in they kick pretty good, but when you have all your hunting clothes on and your veins are throbbing with that addictive drug called adrenaline you do not even notice it that much.

Gersty

fmj 10-27-2011 07:50 PM

My Advice?

Put the scatter gun down and step away!!!

If your state allows center fire rifles. THATS your ticket, get a .35, 06, dirty tirdy, etc.!

If not, go get a decent inline M/L like a CVA Wolf or some such.

Scatter guns are for BIRDS not cervids!

Hadouken 10-27-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgersty (Post 612464)
Trust me the 2 3/4 will kill em just as dead as the 3" magnum slugs, I have seen 7 deer meet their maker while using my mossy 500 with a fully rifled barrel, all of em have been up to 100 yards and with a well placed shot its usually DRT. As far a recoil goes while sighting in they kick pretty good, but when you have all your hunting clothes on and your veins are throbbing with that addictive drug called adrenaline you do not even notice it that much.

Gersty

I am not that afraid of recoil, just thinking about it kinda gets to me. I am sure if I went to a range and shot off a couple of shells I won't care, but since I've never felt it all I can do is build it up in my head that it's bigger than it really is.

I believe my mossy's barrel is smooth, so that means no sabot slugs, guys at work are saying just go with the 00 Buckshot, it's what they use and works for the short distances i'll be in.