deer gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > deer gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default deer gun

I currently have a mossberg 500 which is a very quality gun for the money. I do a lot of pheasant hunting with it and it works great. However, it doesnt work so well deer hunting. I am looking for a accurate and reliable gun for mainly deer hunting. My budget is 500 dollars. Any ideas would be very helpful!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Savage Rifle

Check out the package rifles from Savage. The gun comes with a mounted scope (I don't know if it is bore sighted) and you will get change back from your $500. There is a good selection of calibers and stocks so you should be able to find one that suits you.
If you hunt at short to moderate ranges (less than 150 yards) don't forget the time tested Marlin lever actions (yes Winchester makes them too). My Marlin in 35 Remington is my first choice for deer, and my brother swears by a 444 Marlin for deer and black bear. Once again you will get change back on the $500 (unless you are like me and put a low power scope on top to help your bi-focal eyes out).
Then there is a whole world of used guns. Most deer rifles get fired very little so you shouldn't run up on a "wore out" one, but you might find one with nicks and bangs that will pull the resale price down, but won't affect its shootability.
Check the pawn shops after deer season ends. Some guys get new guns for Christmas, give up hunting, or pawn the guns to get money to pay taxes.

John Q.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #3

Default Deer Gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter17 View Post
I currently have a mossberg 500 which is a very quality gun for the money. I do a lot of pheasant hunting with it and it works great. However, it doesn't work so well deer hunting. I am looking for a accurate and reliable gun for mainly deer hunting. My budget is 500 dollars. Any ideas would be very helpful!
I'm guessing that you are in a state that only allows shotguns for deer season, I don't know because you don't have any of your information filled out in your profile, I don't want to wander to far off topic so I will make it quick, this is so freaking aggravating to all of you that read this post please take two minutes of your time and give us a little information about yourself, when you give advice and when you ask for it it helps immensely to know where in the he$$ you live in this country and a little bit about yourself, I really don't know what to tell this guy for instance should I be telling him to look at a center fire rifles or should we be talking about shotguns, sorry Bro; I'm not singling you out, I just seem to run into this constantly, and with out a little background information it's hard to give good advice, back to your question If the case is a shotgun you don't need a new one, you need a rifled slug barrel for the Mossberg 500 you already have, that's what my wife uses and it is a tack driver with 300 grain Hornady SST's If it's a centerfire you are looking for then I have to agree with Tanker60A3 It is hard to beat the price and quality of the Savage package deals, I recently bought the Savage 12 for I believe about 469.00 dollars with tax and all, I chose the 7mm-08 I have been feeding it Hornaday 139 grain SST and at 300 yards it groups them as good as my Remington 700 that I paid dang near a grand for!!!! I for one am most impressed!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #4

Default Deer gun

I almost forgot take alook at the new Mossberg 4x4 rifles they are very nice for the money and everything I have read on them so far is out standing!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!