Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Decisions decisions. 500, 870 or Winchester SXP. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/decisions-decisions-500-870-winchester-sxp-81157/)

davva360 01-13-2013 02:58 AM

Decisions decisions. 500, 870 or Winchester SXP.

Buying a new Home Defense shotgun this week. Short list if the Mossberg 500, Remington 870 or Winchester SXP. Looking to spend $350.

It may come down to what's available but if anyone has any feedback on the above, or other suggestions let me know.

Axxe55 01-13-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davva360 (Post 1091324)
Buying a new Home Defense shotgun this week. Short list if the Mossberg 500, Remington 870 or Winchester SXP. Looking to spend $350.

It may come down to what's available but if anyone has any feedback on the above, or other suggestions let me know.

any of the three would serve quite well and all are good shotguns for SD purposes. i have had several Remington M870's over the years and have found all to be very good and reliable shotguns. i have had a couple of Mossberg M500's and have liked them for the same reasons, decent reliable shotguns. currently i have the Winchester SXP Defender and so far after owning it for about two years now, it's been strictly reliable after about 1000 rounds through it with not one problem. mine has the 18.5" barrel and hold 5 in the tube.

if strictly going to be a HD shotgun, consider getting one with the 18-20" barrel length. stick with a full stock rather than a straight pistol grip. your wrist will thank you after you fire off a few OO buckshot or slug rounds!

akers06 01-13-2013 03:53 AM

Out of the three you mentioned I would go with the Winchester bit also check out the benelli nova and the stoeger p350

kiabe1 01-13-2013 04:19 AM

personally i prefer the mossberg 500 because i like the thumb safety due to ease of access, just a quick flick and your ready to go also of the three if your ever in need of replacement parts or barrels its the cheapest of the three, as well as being the cheapest to accessorize. but to be honest a home defense gun is a very personal experience, its a gun that you have to have faith in to protect you and your family 100% of the time so my best suggestion is to handle the guns your thinking of getting and see which one feels the most comfortable and reliable in your own hands because if it doesn't work its not just your life thats in danger

kiabe1 01-13-2013 04:25 AM

some people may scoff at the mossberg but just remember its a gun you'll only use once at which point the police will confiscate it, and though the mossberg rattles more than an old beater it in no way affects the function and reliability

Axxe55 01-13-2013 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiabe1 (Post 1091439)
personally i prefer the mossberg 500 because i like the thumb safety due to ease of access, just a quick flick and your ready to go also of the three if your ever in need of replacement parts or barrels its the cheapest of the three, as well as being the cheapest to accessorize. but to be honest a home defense gun is a very personal experience, its a gun that you have to have faith in to protect you and your family 100% of the time so my best suggestion is to handle the guns your thinking of getting and see which one feels the most comfortable and reliable in your own hands because if it doesn't work its not just your life thats in danger

complete faith in your HD shotgun is more important than a particular brand. will it function like it should when needed? this is very important. i also urge anyone buying any firearm for HD to test it out and learn it about it and practice with it on a regular basis. finding out you don't know where the safety is when in the time of need is not a good thing! blasting the heck out of some milk jugs filled with water is kind of fun as well!

i don't personally like a bunch of accessories on my shotguns. i subscribe to the K.I.S.S. philosophy. (Keep It Simple Stupid) simple is much better IMO. my Winchester SXP Defender w/ 18.5" barrel, 5 in the tube and 5 more in the buttstock carrier. very simple rig.

davva360 01-13-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Price wise they should all be within $20 of each other in my area so unless I find a Maverick 88 'its not really a consideration. Not looking to customize other than a sling and shell holder.

First choice would be Mossberg 500, the main drawback to me is its a little bit trickier to reassemble than the others. Not a big deal though. Parts,are readily available and reasonably priced.

It's a real toss up with the other two. They both look very similar to clean, a little easier than the Mossberg to reassemble. Probably easier to find Remington parts but right now i am not seeing anything other than field model Remington's. The Winchester feels very solid.

Like I said at outset it may come down to availability. I will not be gouged so it limits where I can buy. One local store wanted $300 for a Maverick 88 and $500 for a 500 or the Winchester. The Mav is normally under $200 here and the others are around $329.

John_Deer 01-13-2013 02:13 PM

How many times are we going to have this thread?

davva360 01-13-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer
How many times are we going to have this thread?

Should be short. I bought the Winchester. Now on an ammo hunt! Definitely scarce around here :(

dmtshooter 01-13-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davva360 (Post 1091324)

I would recommend the Mossberg 500 as someone else mentioned it does rattle a bit more than most but I've owned min3 for 3 Yeats and put 700 rounds through it and still functions perfectly. With a budget of $350 it will allow you to get a true home defense gun with some options and upgrades by going with the 500.