Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Deciding on a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Deciding on a shotgun

Ok, I took the plunge and sold my Ruger Red Label 12g to Cabelas. They rated it at 98% and gave me $750. I know a private sale would have netted me more money, but I did not want to deal with the admin. I was hoping to get into the new gun for what I made on the Ruger plus $200 I set aside (and a bit more for the right gun).

My plan is to get a budget / used 20g O/U or reasonably priced semi-auto in 20 or 12g. I would use it for shooting trap or skeet with the wife (we are newbies, and she is really interested in shooting), and maybe shooting pheasant (I have done this a bit over the years). I am trying to get something with relatively light recoil. I would appreciate advice on the following:

1. Would the felt recoil on a 12g semi-auto shotgun be comparable to that of a 20g O/U? How does the felt recoil of a inertia gun compare with a gas-cycled semi-auto?
2. Has anyone handled or fired a Franchi Instinct? It gets great press, but I have not seen one in a store. The only other O/U in the running was the CZ Redhead, but the fit and finish was marginal.
3. Would dropping down to a 20g from a 12g hinder me in hunting and shooting clays?
4. The semi-autos on the short list include Weatherby SA-08, Beretta 3901 and Beretta AL391 (I found a nice used one for $799). The inertia guns on the short list are the Benelli Montefeltro and Franchi Affinity. Your thoughts? Is the 3901 mechanically the same as the 391? If I pursue the used AL391, what should I look-out for when inspecting the gun?

Thanks for the advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here