Damascus Twist Steel Barrel
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Damascus Twist Steel Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5963 Times on 2072 Posts
Likes Given: 1716

Default Damascus Twist Steel Barrel

This was given to me in the late 50's by my grandpa and has been in my parents attic wrapped for many, many years.
On top of this single shot 12 ga shotgun is written Columbia Arms Co Norwich Conn. and on the left side Fulton Arms.
Anyone know any info (years of production) etc ?

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who donít like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3277 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Threetango,

These guns were designed for Black Powder Shotgun Shells only. I will let some of the guys here on the forum advise you a further details that have more knowledge in this area. But do not shoot any high brass or newer hotter load shotgun shells in it. Great Wall Hanger! And certainly a keepsake coming from Grandpa! I know how valuable these heirlooms are! I would not shoot any modern shells even low brass in it until you hear from some of the other members who have more knowledge of the results than I do!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10389 Times on 4484 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Columbia was used by several companies in different places- but I THINK yours may have been made by W. H. Davenport Arms Co. If so, what would have been about 1891-1910.

While there were some incredibly well built European Damascus guns that ARE nitro (smokeless) proofed, yours is not one of them. The Davenports, Crescents and Shapleigh guns of that period were utility grade guns- made for the working stiff. They were the guns of the farmer, storekeeper, mechanic, carpenter, etc.

As you may be aware, Damascus barrels were made by twisting heated strands of wire around a mandrel, reheating and then hammer forging them. They were made for low pressure, black powder loads. Unfortunately, each of the thousands of welds is a point where black powder corrosion can start rust, which can UNweld any of the points- resulting in the barrel coming apart with vengeance.

Using modern smokeless shells can increase the certainly of you spattering bystander with bits of you- but even black powder shells MAY not be safe. Myself, I would want a GOOD metals test man to do a penetrant dye test before shooting one- and that would be pricey.

My honest suggestion? Use a soft cloth with light oil, and by hand, polish the metal bits lightly. Same for the wood with a good lemon oil based furniture polish. And retire that one to a spot of honor above the mantel.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Damascus barrels are not safe to shoot with any charge due exactly to what C3 said about corrosion unwelding the strands. They are just too old and brittle. When they were forged the gunsmiths of the time knew nothing about stress relief or good hammer forging techniques for barrels. They would beat the barrels one side at a time causing metal stress and brittleness. While safe for a good 30 or 40 years corrosion and age and use make them unsafe to shoot under any condition.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." ó L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-21-2014, 04:12 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

JonM is right under no circumstances should that firearm be shot

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No intention of shooting it, too old but would like to know the years of manufacture.
Probably will find someone to make some walnut gun mounts and put it up in my man cave.

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who donít like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

duplication

Last edited by Threetango; 01-25-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Its hard to tell especially since the manufacturer is no longer in b ussiness but fyi google is ur friend

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1528 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1665

What you have there is what is known as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. Probably made by Stevens, Iver Johnson or H&R, I`m going to say it`s not a 100 years old, probably built in the 30`s & probably not a Damascus Twist Steel Barrel, just a good ol boy shotgun back in the day, probably cost 10 bucks back then which was a lot. Probably worth a 100 bucks today. If it was given to you by your Grandpa I say Restore it & hang it up & cherish it..............

Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #10

Liked 185 Times on 136 Posts

There are some forums where if you say don't shoot damascus barrels, they draw a bead on you, and regale you with tales of shooting theirs. BUT, I agree 100% with c3shooter, and I haven't seen anyone yet who could do a dye penetrant test on the inside of the barrels. I haven't seen any finely crafted old gun that I want to shoot so bad as to risk my ability to ever shoot anything ever again.