Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > cut the stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cut the stock

I just bought a Citori Lightning Ultralight 20 ga. for my wife. She is about 5'4" and has the strength and athletic ability to handle the shotgun. The problem is the stock is too long...her arms are too short. Can I buy a new stock and have a gun smith cut it off for her? How do I know what length it needs to be? How much would the stock cost? where would I find a new stock? thanks, Mark

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The correct way to measure trigger pull is in an article in the Knowledge Base, which is for Supporting Members, but PM me and I will walk you through it.

The ideal choice would be to whack the stock a little shorter than she needs and add a very good quality Recoil Pad, like Decelerator or Limbsaver, to ease the felt recoil on the poor woman.

Would cost about one hour of time ( $75 ), plus parts, in our shop.

JD

Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #3

I would like to save the original stock that matches the forearm. Can a replacement stock be purchased? How much would it cost? And where would I buy one? Mark

Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would try Brownell's or Midwayusa or one of those on line, all inclusive parts places. I am not familiar with that exact model, so I am afraid I can't help you on an exact source...

Someone here will know for sure though...

JD

Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I would try Brownell's or Midwayusa or one of those on line, all inclusive parts places. I am not familiar with that exact model, so I am afraid I can't help you on an exact source...

Someone here will know for sure though...

JD
The citori is a browning, and it should be easy to find a stock for it. Have you tried contacting Browning directly, and asking where to get an extra stock? I understand wanting to keep the original, especially since that shot probably cost you $1000 to $2000, depending on the exact citori purchased. It's not like cutting up a $200 mossberg...

Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #6

Is the stock the same for a 12 and 20 gague citori?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in the same boat with Mark. My daughter is a svelt 4'10" @92 lbs. I have an olde 20 Ga Stevens 315 I am willing to cut down and don't know how much to take off. This is something I found on another site and it is only one of the factors for fitting a stock to you...
disclaimer: I make no claims to it's accuracy.

quote:
To obtain your general LOP measurement - LOP only, this means ignoring all other parameters - hold your trigger arm out in front of you, upper arm strait out and at a 90° angle to your chest elbow pointing away from you, forearm parallel to your chest, index finger bent 90° at the knuckle joint. Now, without jamming the end of the rule into your skin, measure from the inside of the elbow joint to the pad of the index finger - you must make sure you maintain a 90° bend at the elbow & knuckle and that your wrist is perfectly strait in-line with the forearm. This will put you in the ballpark
end quote:

Last edited by Guido; 02-10-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

we cut down an old .22 single shot rifle for my nephew to learn on. He's only 8 years old and it was cheaper than buying him a youth-sized Cricket brand rifle. It works fine for him now.