Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   cut down trap shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/cut-down-trap-shooting-82092/)

cgersty 01-22-2013 02:39 AM

cut down trap shooting

1 Attachment(s)
Any one shot trap with a cut down shotty? Gonna try it this weekend with my 870, 18.5" barrel, cylinder bore lol so you think it will matter what size shot I should use, probably won't hit any with it but it will be fun for sure lol.

Attachment 80808

Blueguns 01-22-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgersty
Any one shot trap with a cut down shotty? Gonna try it this weekend with my 870, 18.5" barrel, cylinder bore lol so you think it will matter what size shot I should use, probably won't hit any with it but it will be fun for sure lol.

I don't. It looks like it'll be hard to hit anything.

Vikingdad 01-22-2013 03:58 AM

I have tried my 795 with a full length barrel on it. I changed it back to the original stock. I wouldn't even try with the 18.5" barrel on it. Let us know how it works though.

Virginian 01-22-2013 12:19 PM

You can shoot any of the clay target games with an 18" barrel (except where the range prohibits short barrels), or you can defend your home with a 32" barrel. The gun just may not be optimum for the task.

cgersty 01-22-2013 04:06 PM

I am gonna try it just for giggles I e,pect to waste for shells than I hit any lol, I got this gun for almost free, so I chopped it down and just want to see what it will do lol I will report back on it.

Gonzilla 01-22-2013 04:46 PM

You will have to be very quick on the bird ! Larger shot will help you reach out farther. I w try 6 shot as its what I use for LR pheasants - might give you an edge. Most use 7.5 shot but I only shoot in the summer.

An very good shooter (sporting clays) w alter his shells based on the range of Tgt to give him an edge. May just be PSY Ops cause I have seen people score well w one load n they rarely changed chokes. Yet some people change chokes at every station like golf nutz. :p.

Who is right ? No definitive answer other than whatever breaks the most birds. A reloader told me modern shells reach max velocity in 16" of barrel - so longer barrels just aide w sight radius n weight fwd for smoother swing.

bobski 01-22-2013 05:42 PM

depends on what you call trap.
are we talking professional bunker trap on a range where you stand 16yds back from the bunker?
or...some cheesy little flinger in someones back yard?

backyard...you ought to do ok.
bunker?.....maybe 6 out of 25.

cgersty 01-22-2013 07:16 PM

Just a thrower our in our pasture lol

Virginian 01-22-2013 10:20 PM

That is not Trap. Trap is a regulated game. (Wikipedia is your friend) That is shooting clay pigeons. Enjoy.

bobski 01-22-2013 10:59 PM

itll be fine. have fun.