Custom 20 gauge slug gun - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Custom 20 gauge slug gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

not a thing wrong with those older bolt action shotguns. i remember a time when they were much more common than they are now. i have several pump shotguns, but i still like my bolt actions as well. granted a pump can have a much quicker follow-up shot if needed than the bolt action. but i can't see how a pump can be any more accurate than a bolt action.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #22

Liked 326 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

How much accuracy does one need for deer?
From the bench.....if a bolt gun shoots 1" groups and my tuned 870 shoots 2" ............how much diff does that translate to in the field?

Yes, tighter groups build confidence.

But 1"diff @ 100yd is only 2" at 200 and my shots stay under that.

Most folks benching slug guns in lead sleds or sight vises probably experience HUGE shifts in field accuracy and POI when peeling lead at Bambi.

Maybe a bolt rig offers the chance at improved accuracy, against the standard pump or auto. But it's gonna suck if it has crappy ergonomics and or trigger. I rather dislike the feel of the Mossberg and Marlin offerings.

Browning A Bolt might be pretty cool
BTW, think I saw recently in a mag.............Browning making a cantilever Gold auto in 20 gauge.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #23

There are plenty of horror stories of bolt rifles not shooting well.
My guess is some bolt shotguns may suffer from similar afflictions.
In general the action and bedding system should prove advantageous, but there are many factors involved in making a firearm accurate.
It won't be dictated simply by action type alone.

Heck, I've seen big differences in group size due to differing lot #'s on ammo.

That there might be more influential than action type between two rigs.
Inside of 150 yards I see no advantage in choosing a bolt shotgun vs a pump (when one is willing to test and tweak either as needed).

But like another mentioned...........some folks are shorter armed/have lesser strength, and hand position can be a problem on a full sized pump rig. I think Remington offers a long forearm in synthetic for their turkey rigs, that should help with at least the hold, dunno how it will affect manipulation ('cause I've never shot one- they look ugly)
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #24

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have yet to pick up a Savage rifle of any kind that shot poorly. There are things I don't like about savage products but accuracy is not an issue.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #25
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2336 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 12825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
I still don't understand why folks would want a bolt action shotgun for deer.

Like a tuned pump rig..........sub 2" groups @ 100 yards, fast second shot capability...............if you flub a shot that might be a nice thing to have. Or if you do drives, or aren't afraid to take movers.

Flubbed a shot once. Tip toes, 20+ft up in a treestand, trying to clear a big nearby branch to pop an 8 pt that had been running does back and forth in the tree farm below........for 45 minutes.

Popped up in a little clearing, and I yanked it.
Recoil had the gun cycle on it's own pretty much, and the next shot dumped him.

The old 870's fast 2nd shot saved the day.
My reasons for using a bolt action shotgun for deer:

1. lighter weight of my 185 d than my 870.
2. Both fit me well, but I like the feel of a bolt gun over a pump.
3. The barrel of the BA is screwed into the receiver, where the barrel of the 870 is a slip fit. solid is more stable than slip, but this is just a personal preference. Both are smooth bore, and both will take out 5 bottles with 5 rounds at 50 yards if I am doing my part correctly.
4. The BA has a rear peep sight, which I like more than the standard ramp rear on my 870. None of my shotguns are scoped.
5. I have only needed a second shot 3 times since I started hunting back in the late 80s. I learned on singles and bolts. If you don't rush, botch, or fate doesn't throw you a curve ball the first time around, you never need to shoot twice.

There are tricks that can be used to provide a follow up shot even with singles and bolts. I have kept 2 or 3 extra shells in a wrist wrap when using a single shot with an ejector. Pop it open, let the empty fly, wrist forward to the chamber, close, and go through the shooting process. I shoot left handed, but I am primarily right handed. If I am using a branch as a rest, I can cycle the bolt with my right hand, while following the target with a maintained cheek weld. You just have to remember not to crowd the action, but it can be done.

This is just me personally, what works for me will not always work for others. If your set up works, don't change it. In my case, the BA shotgun has fed 4 generations of my family, so I see bolt actions as being equal with most pump platforms IMHO.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #26
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2336 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 12825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
There are plenty of horror stories of bolt rifles not shooting well.
My guess is some bolt shotguns may suffer from similar afflictions.
In general the action and bedding system should prove advantageous, but there are many factors involved in making a firearm accurate.
It won't be dictated simply by action type alone.

Heck, I've seen big differences in group size due to differing lot #'s on ammo.

That there might be more influential than action type between two rigs.
Inside of 150 yards I see no advantage in choosing a bolt shotgun vs a pump (when one is willing to test and tweak either as needed).

But like another mentioned...........some folks are shorter armed/have lesser strength, and hand position can be a problem on a full sized pump rig. I think Remington offers a long forearm in synthetic for their turkey rigs, that should help with at least the hold, dunno how it will affect manipulation ('cause I've never shot one- they look ugly)
I am bout 5 foot 7. My answer to the reach too far issue: Youth stock set. took my 870 from not quite comfortable to a perfect fit in less than 20 minutes.

I have to agree, the extended fore ends look horrid to me as well.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #27

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I am bout 5 foot 7. My answer to the reach too far issue: Youth stock set. took my 870 from not quite comfortable to a perfect fit in less than 20 minutes.

I have to agree, the extended fore ends look horrid to me as well.
I'm 5'8" and a 14" lop fits me just fine.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #28

I'm 5' 10" and find standard 870's to fit me fine.
Yup, some 870's can have rather sloppy bbl to receiver fit. One Police model I had was really bad.
Took 2 layers of masking tape to tighten it up.
You can also equispace the barrel ring on the mag tube (machine for screws or build up with epoxy).
Torque the mag cap and leave everything together until after season.

FWIW I grew up shooting a Ruger #1 B in .243 for chucks. Never subscribed to the spray and pray mentality.

But..................when a deer comes trotting through, or if he stops, I'll pop him.............and if he moves with a decent head of steam I'll hit him again. If I spot the impact (often) and the reaction notable, then yeah I might just let him drop with no extra perforation.

But I hunt some small areas, and try for the shoulder. One spot had a neighbor that wouldn't let you recover deer from his side. He took a nice 10 pt I shot with a revolver.

So I learned really quick to hammer the deer hard when on that side of the farm.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #29

My rifled 870's were sub 2" at 100 for 5 shots.
But my ammo was from one lot# (sucks buying 10 boxes at a time).
And I tested for cleaning interval and fouling requirement.
That too expensive.

And what I ended up with was a slug gun that shot great, had fast second or 3rd shot capability (trees suck). And they were kinda heavy and generated a fair amount of recoil (used 2 3/4", not 3" in my 870s).

I now run a rig that has 50 yards more capability (200yd), shoots sub MOA, and weighs less, and has less recoil. It aint a slug gun, it's a rifle

Figure d*cking around with a recurve the month prior, all bets are off come boomtime.
Other rifle is an iron sighted (peep) Ruger .44 auto. My main rig is a scoped single shot. It's for buck hunting, usually take a revolver for doe pops.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #30

My do all general rig is an 870 turkey model (Supermag). I thought about putting some police walnut on it, just for looks. The forend of the police models is shorter than the regular.