Cruiser Shotgun <What do you use it for?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Cruiser Shotgun <What do you use it for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cruiser Shotgun <What do you use it for?

Hello, everybody.

Here's a good forum question on shotguns (unless someone beat me to the punch already):

What do you use your Cruiser type Shotgun for (or shotgun with pistol grip and no butt)?

Personal Protection? Do you drive around with it in the back seat of your 18 wheeler, truck, or other vehicle? Just for fun or sport? Collector's item? Shoot varmints with it? Law Enforcement? Military or Private Contractor? Other stuff (don't put down that you cause crime with it)?

Let me know what you think.

I just bought one for personal protection at home myself.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a crusier type shotgun for home defense. All I can say is.... make sure you have good arm strength, unless you have a Knoxx breacher grip.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #3

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have shotguns that I get Phesant with and shoot skeet with. I also have a home defence shotgun that never leaves the house, excpet on a few occasions to the range. It is a Winchester Pratical Tactical Super X-2 semi auto that holds 9 rounds. For my use it is practically usless because it doesnt put food on the table (my choice), however, it is one bad ass defence shotgun and it could put food on the table if required. It doesn't have a pistol grip stock nor would I own one that did. I feel that these configuration stocks on shotguns are totally useless.

Last edited by mrm14; 09-10-2009 at 12:58 AM.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:56 AM   #4

the only use i see for a pistol grip pump with no stock is for home defence in tight hallways and starwells, other than that they are not optimal for anything.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelblaster View Post
the only use i see for a pistol grip pump with no stock is for home defence in tight hallways and starwells, other than that they are not optimal for anything.
Exactly.... I think this is what the main purpose of pistol is for. I live in an apartment and you don't have much room to move around the doors and corners with a full stock shotgun without there being problems.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #6

I noticed that when I shot my Cruiser Mossberg 500 shotgun that it hardly performed well past 10 yards. It has a tighter/smaller barrel diameter than my Remington 870 full size/tactical shotgun. The Cruiser Types are exclusively for close ranges I've observed, so it is not probably not ideal for shooting something outside/at a distance. However, it seems to have more power and perhaps stopping power than my Remington 870. It kept knocking my target paper off of the board, and I've never had that happen to me before at the particular range I was shooting at.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
I noticed that when I shot my Cruiser Mossberg 500 shotgun that it hardly performed well past 10 yards. It has a tighter/smaller barrel diameter than my Remington 870 full size/tactical shotgun. The Cruiser Types are exclusively for close ranges I've observed, so it is not probably not ideal for shooting something outside/at a distance. However, it seems to have more power and perhaps stopping power than my Remington 870. It kept knocking my target paper off of the board, and I've never had that happen to me before at the particular range I was shooting at.
Are they both 12Ga? If so, the barrel diameter should be about the same. And you'll find that most shotguns with the short (18" barrel) are more effective at short range. However, there are a few, with rifled barrels, that are very accurate out to longer ranges, say up to 50 yards, using the right slugs.

As for stopping power, at short range just about anything you put through your shotgun is going to give a BG a bad day. Knocking the paper off the board, is most probably the spread of whatever shot you were shooting, or maybe the concussion of a slug or the shot hitting the board. I shoot both, a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. Both are equipped with a Blackhawk (Knoxx Industries) Spec-Ops collapsible stock, for ease of movement in tight quarters, but also allows me to extend the stock for more accuracy at longer ranges. It still has the pistol grip to it, but also has a spring assisted shock absorber built in to the stock AND into the pistol grip, that reduces felt recoil up to 90%.

That being said, I do have a "cruiser" w/ pistol grip only, that I carry with me backpacking sometimes. It's more a "peace-of-mind" thing, as it provides a very good visual deterrent to any 2-legged critters that might come across my trail or campsite. I used to carry it up in Alaska, just in case of bear encounters. But I think that was more of a "peace-of-mind" thing for myself, as the time it would take to grab and swing that into action from whatever it was I was originally doing....I'd probably be bear food by then. So it got replaced by a short .454 Casull w/ hand loads.

They are "ok" for close quarters, but keep in mind that in a panic situation/home invasion/car-jacking/etc, that you also want to be able to control your weapon. A short shotgun like the cruiser is going to be a handfull in that kind of situation (unless of course you are the star or co-star in the movie, or happen to be Chuck Norris).

Slo

Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #8

Slowry, how well does backpacking with a cruiser shotgun work? Do you just throw it in a bag, or do you have a special pack for the shotgun? The Mossberg website showcases their Cruiser shotgun with a picture of someone backpacking with a special pack for the Cruiser Shotgun.

As per the thought of the shotgun being a handful, I do agree, that's why I ended up adding a Cruiser Shotgun to my "arsenal". I only have my shotgun at the ready in the home when it's the daytime, and sometimes when it's just me in the house. When I have more than one person in the house including myself, or most of the time when it's at night, I'll switch to my HK USP pistol because of the ease of movement, and how fast I can get it into action, plus the use of a flashlight. I don't personally like using attached flashlights on my shotguns.

I haven't been backpacking before, but hope to in the future, and I'm glad I have a Cruiser Style Shotgun for that (or I'd use my .40 sub compact Glock). As for bears, I don't have experience with that, but I hope that I have enough time to run away and shoot to slow the bear down if needed. I won't get a powerful handgun for bears unless I feel I really need it, or go into dangerous country with them. I've heard the stories about bears and how you might need something powerful for them.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my backpack has a 'sleeve', if you will, that has a velcro closure to it. my shotgun slips into it and I can either pull it out from the top or if I need it in a hurry, it pulls right through the velcro. Keep in mind, pulling it through the velcro isn't the smoothing extraction, but can be done.

As much time as I spent outdoors in Alaska, specially out along the Aleutian arm, you needed to have something with you. Some chose to carry 'Bear Spray', others carried whatever. I chose the latter, and felt alot safer with something that might actually STOP the bear, should it decide I looked tasty.
True, one could back up, stand tall and yell, make noise, whatever works. But fate doesn't always deal a fair hand, and there were times when we inadvertently came through the brush to a good fishing spot, only to find Momma Bear and the little ones. No, I never had to draw on one, but after seeing results of man-vs-bear(s) encounters, I would have never hesitated. All my guide buddies up there usually carried a 12GA loaded with slugs, AND a sidearm in the largest caliber they could handle.

Someone mentioned earlier that their cruiser was because of living in an apartment and it made it easier to move around inside. I would hope that most of us have some kind of plan, in the event of a break in/home invasion, where you leave that up to the police if possible. Unless of course you have little ones, and you have to get them back to your safe spot, to wait for the authorities. Sure, that may sound a little chicken-s--t, but it might also keep you and yours alive/unhurt longer. Might also want to consider frangible in your sidearm at home, too. Or better yet...get a BIG sounding dog. Doesn't have to a Rotty/Shepherd/Mastiff/Doby/etc. just something that sounds ferocious. Make a bump in the night at my house, the alarm will trigger if it warrants, but our Basset Hounds will literally scare the crap out of you, as they sound like Bubba just released the hounds after a coon.

I'm all for protecting yourself and family, anything else is material and not worth anyone getting hurt over. And in the dark, half awake, with a loaded weapon, and adrenalin pumping, it would be very easy to make a mistake.

After all that...I originally bought my cruiser to have with me outdoors. I also have one in .410 cal., loaded with shot on the first round, filled with slugs after that. That one normally stays in the camp trailer.

Just my .02

Slo

Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelblaster View Post
Their a great breaching weapon!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello