Originally Posted by Chaosut
Sorry i've been off this forum for a month or so being busy with work and stuff. Of course i've conjured up some more questions
1) Does anyone know a good website or book that gives a good overall firearm knowledge (Living in Australia, i don't really get close with many firearms)
2) Are civilians able to purchase the FN five-seven pistol.?3) What are the most common firearm ammunitions used?
4) From the most common ammunition, what are the distinguishing characteristics of each (like size of catridge and power).
5)Other than sporting, why would a single-action pistol still be used?
6) With a single-action pistol such as a colt 1911, is it possible to customize it to a double-action?
7) Does someone deal with a gun jam just by reloading?
3.)The military calibers are most common. 9x19mm, .45 ACP, 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. There are common sporting calibers like .270, .30-06, 300 Win Mag and 7mm.
4.)not sure what you're asking, but ammo is stamped with the caliber on the bottom of the shell, around the primer.
5.)Self defense and target shooting are the most common uses for single action pistols.
6.)There are a few companies that make DAO 1911s, but generally, due to the design, a SA pistol will remain SA, a DAO will remain DAO and SA/DA will stay SA/DA.
7.)Jams are usually cleared by working the action and letting the action clear itself. Sometimes, further remedial actions are required but it isn't common.