Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Couple of questions

Sorry i've been off this forum for a month or so being busy with work and stuff. Of course i've conjured up some more questions .
1) Does anyone know a good website or book that gives a good overall firearm knowledge (Living in Australia, i don't really get close with many firearms)
2) Are civilians able to purchase the FN five-seven pistol.?3) What are the most common firearm ammunitions used?
4) From the most common ammunition, what are the distinguishing characteristics of each (like size of catridge and power).
5)Other than sporting, why would a single-action pistol still be used?
6) With a single-action pistol such as a colt 1911, is it possible to customize it to a double-action?
7) Does someone deal with a gun jam just by reloading?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosut View Post
Sorry i've been off this forum for a month or so being busy with work and stuff. Of course i've conjured up some more questions .
1) Does anyone know a good website or book that gives a good overall firearm knowledge (Living in Australia, i don't really get close with many firearms)
2) Are civilians able to purchase the FN five-seven pistol.?3) What are the most common firearm ammunitions used?
4) From the most common ammunition, what are the distinguishing characteristics of each (like size of catridge and power).
5)Other than sporting, why would a single-action pistol still be used?
6) With a single-action pistol such as a colt 1911, is it possible to customize it to a double-action?
1.) www.wikipedia.com
2.)Yes.
3.)The military calibers are most common. 9x19mm, .45 ACP, 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. There are common sporting calibers like .270, .30-06, 300 Win Mag and 7mm.
4.)not sure what you're asking, but ammo is stamped with the caliber on the bottom of the shell, around the primer.
5.)Self defense and target shooting are the most common uses for single action pistols.
6.)There are a few companies that make DAO 1911s, but generally, due to the design, a SA pistol will remain SA, a DAO will remain DAO and SA/DA will stay SA/DA.
7.)Jams are usually cleared by working the action and letting the action clear itself. Sometimes, further remedial actions are required but it isn't common.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:13 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I seriously have to ask myself why someone would need to ask these questions. If I didn't know, the last place I would ask is on a message board. There are way too many people with twisted senses of humor that would hold absolutely no liability for giving really bad answers.
For instance:

The best way to distinguish between rounds is to hit them with a hammer really hard. The more powerful ones will give a dull thud due to the increased amount of powder in the case.

Or maybe:

Absolutely! The only way to clear a jam is by letting the next round knock it loose, so you want as many rounds as possible. If you look down the barrel you will be able to tell if the round is close to being cleared. Just keep working the action until you see that it is clear. Sometimes pulling the trigger will also help.

If you are really that inexperienced with guns, you need to go to gun shops, shows, gun club meetings, official web sites, etc. If you are really that new to guns, then you don't even know what YOU want yet.

Disclaimer The information in these examples is not meant to be followed. It is meant to be funny and created by someone with way too much time and a sick sense of humor. Following the above-mentioned advice could result in serious injury or death for someone that probably needed it anyway. Think of it as chlorine in the gene pool.

Last edited by Duck; 12-26-2007 at 02:15 AM.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #4

Awesome, thanks guys