Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > corny question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default corny question

I recently went skit shooting for the first time and really enjoyed it, I rented my gun and it was a Beretta 391 Urika2 Walnut loved it my first round I shot 16 and my second 19 and then back to 16 on my final round, my corny question is it okay or excepted to use a synthetic shotgun for shooting skit they are a couple $100 bucks cheaper, I'm wanted a Beretta 391 Urika2 and they're $1,100 to $1,200 for the low end Walnut and I can get the synthetic for $866 at Buds, I ask because all I saw out there was very high dollar shotguns both SA and O/U and 1 SXS I didn't see any pumps, which I'm told some people still use them, I have a Rem 870 but I don't think I'm fast enough to try that

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

If you can shoot skeet that well without much experience, I doubt that the stock is going to make much difference! But the walnut or wood certainly will have the edge in looks to most people.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #3

I'm in South central Pa. It is perfectly acceptable to shoot a broomstick if you can hit targets. I have seen many guys pay a ton of money for a fancy gun which they can't shoot well. On the other side of things, I've seen good shooters pick up a cheap gun at a yardsale, and shoot really well with it. I would advise anyone who asked, not to get caught up in the show and tell game. Just to buy a gun that fits you well and that you are comfortable with. If you shoot a 24 or 25 (probably not right away) with your $900 gun, it is just as good as the same score from a $5000 gun.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
I'm in South central Pa. It is perfectly acceptable to shoot a broomstick if you can hit targets. I have seen many guys pay a ton of money for a fancy gun which they can't shoot well. On the other side of things, I've seen good shooters pick up a cheap gun at a yardsale, and shoot really well with it. I would advise anyone who asked, not to get caught up in the show and tell game. Just to buy a gun that fits you well and that you are comfortable with. If you shoot a 24 or 25 (probably not right away) with your $900 gun, it is just as good as the same score from a $5000 gun.
That says it all right there.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #5

I say be the badazz that can knock um down with a pump! Only one way to find out if your fast enough, and if your not, that only means you have a reason to tell the wife why you need to go to the range. "Honey, if there's 50 flying zombies, and I only shot 49, you still get munched on, I should go practice"

Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you show up with a pump you might get looked at funny as most guys shoot doubles or autos but you start knocking em down and they'll shut up fast. Buy a gun that fits you well, that's key to quick shooting with a shotgun, if it's a pump, it's a pump. I've been shooting a pump for years, it was all I had so if I wanted to shoot skeet, the pump came out.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default well then I'm gonna get that synthetic

Thanks for the responses, about skit (Doh) skeet etiket (doh again) etiquette

Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #8

I have been shooting a Rem 870 Pump for years..14 years to be exact..I like the autos and can shoot them but I can shoot my Pump good to. I can shoot just about as quick as an semi-auto. I had a buddy one day shoot with me and he had a semi-auto and I had my pump. We were doing a test on which was faster. As soon as someone yelled go we let loose with 3 rounds each, I finished a hair behind him. We did it again..it was a tie...3rd time really to close to tell, the last shot we both took sounded like one. The guys watching told us they we shot at about the same rate. I am sure I guy like Tom Knapp can empty a pump just about as quick as a auto. I think he shot like 9 or 10 skeet with a pump..

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Prezactly! I was taught,way back when, that if you even notice racking the pump that you need more trigger time. In that it should be automatic. Tom Knapp only shot a 9 or 10..?

WOW!

I mostly shoot trap but, I do that with an 870. Two actually after last weekend. A 12 Express, and a 20 Youth. 18,14,19... Twice, with both guns... Go figure!

Just go shoot, learn your tool,and have fun!

Sua Sponte!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Tom Knapp tosses up 8 to 10 at a time and shoots them all with both a pump and semi. That's was shooting 40-50k rounds a year and custom Benelli's.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!