Converting existing shotgun to skeet shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Converting existing shotgun to skeet shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Converting existing shotgun to skeet shooting

I've been posing this question to many people, but I have to ask everyone here what they think.

Can you take an existing 18'' barreled (shortest that is legal) shotgun and convert to a competent Skeet Shooting gun? The shorter than 20 inch barrel would not work for the range, besides my shotgun is designed for tactical application. There are two ways of converting I know of so far. There's getting a choke tube (I think it is adding this to your existing barrel, maybe I'm wrong though), and there's changing the barrel out for a longer one.

I was told by a guy that worked at a local skeet shooting range that it is better just to simply buy a brand new or used shotgun for skeet shooting. That sounds realistic.

If I was to convert my Remington 870 Police Tactical Shotgun, I'd rather add something like the choke tube to extend the existing barrel because it's easier to take off later (if I have that right about this).

Anyways, anyone actually have experience with this and/or have attempted what I'm describing?

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #2

A new barrel would be much cheaper than a new shotgun.
I bought my shotgun with a 28" for 187. My 18.5" security barrel only cost 93 bucks. For under $300, I can hunt a wide variety of animals AND use it to protect myself.

BTW-Not sure why this is in the rifle section.

S.S.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
A new barrel would be much cheaper than a new shotgun.
I bought my shotgun with a 28" for 187. My 18.5" security barrel only cost 93 bucks. For under $300, I can hunt a wide variety of animals AND use it to protect myself.

BTW-Not sure why this is in the rifle section.

S.S.
Good advice. I have to see if there is a off brand version for my Remington, because the barrels that Remington sell from their site are in the upper $200s. I think someone told me that Wal-Mart is a good choice for shopping.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

well, for shooting skeet, shotgun shooter has the right idea. a barrel is much cheaper than a shotgun. due to its popularity and similarity to many other shotguns, you can buy a knock off mossberg barrel to go on your 870 instead of paying full price for a remington one. last i checked the aftermarket ones are cheaper. do you actually know how to change tha barrel? and chokes, well, a modified choke would be good for skeet. the same tight pattern used in self defense isn't necessarily the bst choice for skeet shooting.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #5

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

You should be able to find a used 26" fixed choke, either skeet or improved cylinder, vent rib, 2-3/4" chamber barrel for under $100. It is about as fast to change an 870 barrel as it is to swap choke tubes, because the choke tubes have fine threads.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #6

I purchased an extra barrel for my Ithaca 51, and had screw-in chokes put in it... works very well! I can now shoot everything from skeet to turkeys with one gun. The chokes I have all extend 1.5" out from the muzzle... the turkey choke goes out 2.5". A good alternative to off-brand barrels are used ones. Start here:
Shotgun Barrels, Used and Replacement Barrels on BarrelExchange.com

Old 08-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Remington 870 12 - Ga. Factory Synthetic Take - Off Stock Set, Shooting Supplies, Wilson Combat, Remington 870 Synthetic Stock Factory New Usa Made Shotgun Aftermarket Parts Replacement at Sportsman's Guide
If you need more traditional furniture, that is a set for $40. Cheaper than dirt (not my favorite vendor) has barrels for the 870 for about $160 depending on which you pick.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

TheFiringLine Forums
Saw that on another forum i visit; it might be what you want. I don't know if duder is price-flexable.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
well, for shooting skeet, shotgun shooter has the right idea. a barrel is much cheaper than a shotgun. due to its popularity and similarity to many other shotguns, you can buy a knock off mossberg barrel to go on your 870 instead of paying full price for a remington one. last i checked the aftermarket ones are cheaper. do you actually know how to change tha barrel? and chokes, well, a modified choke would be good for skeet. the same tight pattern used in self defense isn't necessarily the bst choice for skeet shooting.
I do not know how to do all that.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Remington 870 12 - Ga. Factory Synthetic Take - Off Stock Set, Shooting Supplies, Wilson Combat, Remington 870 Synthetic Stock Factory New Usa Made Shotgun Aftermarket Parts Replacement at Sportsman's Guide
If you need more traditional furniture, that is a set for $40. Cheaper than dirt (not my favorite vendor) has barrels for the 870 for about $160 depending on which you pick.
I pretty much have been only using Cheaper than Dirt. Do you know any other great sites?