Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Converting existing shotgun to skeet shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/converting-existing-shotgun-skeet-shooting-17109/)

sausn2002 08-19-2009 01:17 AM

Converting existing shotgun to skeet shooting

I've been posing this question to many people, but I have to ask everyone here what they think.

Can you take an existing 18'' barreled (shortest that is legal) shotgun and convert to a competent Skeet Shooting gun? The shorter than 20 inch barrel would not work for the range, besides my shotgun is designed for tactical application. There are two ways of converting I know of so far. There's getting a choke tube (I think it is adding this to your existing barrel, maybe I'm wrong though), and there's changing the barrel out for a longer one.

I was told by a guy that worked at a local skeet shooting range that it is better just to simply buy a brand new or used shotgun for skeet shooting. That sounds realistic.

If I was to convert my Remington 870 Police Tactical Shotgun, I'd rather add something like the choke tube to extend the existing barrel because it's easier to take off later (if I have that right about this).

Anyways, anyone actually have experience with this and/or have attempted what I'm describing?:confused:

Shotgun Shooter 08-19-2009 01:23 AM

A new barrel would be much cheaper than a new shotgun.
I bought my shotgun with a 28" for 187. My 18.5" security barrel only cost 93 bucks. For under $300, I can hunt a wide variety of animals AND use it to protect myself.

BTW-Not sure why this is in the rifle section. ;)

S.S.

sausn2002 08-19-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter (Post 146820)
A new barrel would be much cheaper than a new shotgun.
I bought my shotgun with a 28" for 187. My 18.5" security barrel only cost 93 bucks. For under $300, I can hunt a wide variety of animals AND use it to protect myself.

BTW-Not sure why this is in the rifle section. ;)

S.S.

Good advice. I have to see if there is a off brand version for my Remington, because the barrels that Remington sell from their site are in the upper $200s. I think someone told me that Wal-Mart is a good choice for shopping.

easterner123 08-19-2009 04:04 AM

well, for shooting skeet, shotgun shooter has the right idea. a barrel is much cheaper than a shotgun. due to its popularity and similarity to many other shotguns, you can buy a knock off mossberg barrel to go on your 870 instead of paying full price for a remington one. last i checked the aftermarket ones are cheaper. do you actually know how to change tha barrel? and chokes, well, a modified choke would be good for skeet. the same tight pattern used in self defense isn't necessarily the bst choice for skeet shooting.

Virginian 08-19-2009 04:29 PM

You should be able to find a used 26" fixed choke, either skeet or improved cylinder, vent rib, 2-3/4" chamber barrel for under $100. It is about as fast to change an 870 barrel as it is to swap choke tubes, because the choke tubes have fine threads.:D

WGram3 08-19-2009 05:20 PM

I purchased an extra barrel for my Ithaca 51, and had screw-in chokes put in it... works very well! I can now shoot everything from skeet to turkeys with one gun. The chokes I have all extend 1.5" out from the muzzle... the turkey choke goes out 2.5". A good alternative to off-brand barrels are used ones. Start here:
Shotgun Barrels, Used and Replacement Barrels on BarrelExchange.com

orangello 08-19-2009 05:31 PM

Remington 870 12 - Ga. Factory Synthetic Take - Off Stock Set, Shooting Supplies, Wilson Combat, Remington 870 Synthetic Stock Factory New Usa Made Shotgun Aftermarket Parts Replacement at Sportsman's Guide
If you need more traditional furniture, that is a set for $40. Cheaper than dirt (not my favorite vendor) has barrels for the 870 for about $160 depending on which you pick.

orangello 08-19-2009 06:02 PM

TheFiringLine Forums
Saw that on another forum i visit; it might be what you want. I don't know if duder is price-flexable.

sausn2002 08-19-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easterner123 (Post 146942)
well, for shooting skeet, shotgun shooter has the right idea. a barrel is much cheaper than a shotgun. due to its popularity and similarity to many other shotguns, you can buy a knock off mossberg barrel to go on your 870 instead of paying full price for a remington one. last i checked the aftermarket ones are cheaper. do you actually know how to change tha barrel? and chokes, well, a modified choke would be good for skeet. the same tight pattern used in self defense isn't necessarily the bst choice for skeet shooting.

I do not know how to do all that.

sausn2002 08-19-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 147134)
Remington 870 12 - Ga. Factory Synthetic Take - Off Stock Set, Shooting Supplies, Wilson Combat, Remington 870 Synthetic Stock Factory New Usa Made Shotgun Aftermarket Parts Replacement at Sportsman's Guide
If you need more traditional furniture, that is a set for $40. Cheaper than dirt (not my favorite vendor) has barrels for the 870 for about $160 depending on which you pick.

I pretty much have been only using Cheaper than Dirt. Do you know any other great sites?