Considering a Shotgun for Home Defense - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Considering a Shotgun for Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #51
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2156 Times on 1323 Posts
Likes Given: 12075

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
FWIW if it is to be a home defense tool and God forbid you have to use it a jury will probally treat you better if you have a plain jane shotgun of any variety than some craptical thing that looks like it is from the Terminator movies. I keep a Benelli Nova with an 18.5 inch turkey barrel and mag extension loaded with 3.5 number 5 Heavy Shot Turkey loads. If I have to go to court I hopefully come across as a typical guy who defended his property as opposed well a mall ninja.
QFT! I have always said that if you keep it simple the chances of something failing in a critical moment go down astronomically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_marquez View Post
Yea, and unless you work for some LE agency and your weapon will serve both purposes, keep it simple and void of any insignias like The Punisher or Grim Reaper. That'll get you questioned in court as well.

Sent from my Winchester 1300 Defender using Firearms Talk mobile app
See above reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Don't count out a nice short double barrel. The old Savage 311A is a GREAT hd weapon. That short action make it several inches shorter than a pump or semi, and thus easier to manipulate indoors.

They're also very quick to reload.

BUT

If you need more than two rounds of 00 across the bedroom, you've got a bigger problem than your choice of gun!
Good call on the 311. I am looking for a new barrel set for my Stevens Springfield to shorten up for just this reason. Long set for the field, short set for HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
What about a miss under stress? I'd want more than 2 in the gun if I had a choice. Hey if you're a good shot and have practiced under extreme stress, I say go for it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app
that is why the wife has her qwn shotgun on her side of the bed, and it's not a double.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 PM   #52

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good thinking! I like the keep it simple philosophy myself. I put every gun purchase through an internal mall ninja filter, too.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #53

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I haven't shot many shotguns, but I have very much enjoyed shooting my Winchester Ranger 120 over the years. I have never had a single problem with it--simple and reliable. Is what I have just as good as a Remington 870 for home defense and zombies? If not, how would a Remington be superior? Just me, but if it's not a Winchester, Remington, Browning, or something I can't afford, I don't trust it.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:34 AM   #54

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you are worried about the gun being to long. Just a little experience will cure the gun being to long. No one but the police had a short barrel shotgun 20 years ago and little old ladies were handling long barrel (28"-30" barrel) shotguns inside the home just fine.

Back to the gun being to long; Get a Hi Point carbine if you are scared a gun is going to be to long. It's in the same price range and the Hi Point won't be to long. You have 11 shots of pistol caliber ammo ready to slice and dice. My wife loves the Hi Point. She will turn a goblin into swiss cheese in a hurry.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #55
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you are worried about the gun being to long. Just a little experience will cure the gun being to long. No one but the police had a short barrel shotgun 20 years ago and little old ladies were handling long barrel (28"-30" barrel) shotguns inside the home just fine.

Back to the gun being to long; Get a Hi Point carbine if you are scared a gun is going to be to long. It's in the same price range and the Hi Point won't be to long. You have 11 shots of pistol caliber ammo ready to slice and dice. My wife loves the Hi Point. She will turn a goblin into swiss cheese in a hurry.
but many gun manufacterers offer shorter barreled shotguns and or a shorter barrel. why buy a 28-30" barreled shotgun for HD/SD usage if a person can buy an 18.5-20" barrel to begin with?

and if you have a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, you can always buy a shorter barrel for the same usage and still have the longer one for hunting if wanted.

so in reality, for the most part, there is no reason to have to deal with a shotgun with a long barrel for SD/HD usage. none at all.
People Like This 
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #56

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love my 500. But to be honest try clearing our house in the dark with a unloaded shotgun without having went thru and cleaned first, then try the same with a empty handgun.

Sent from my XT1080 using Firearms Talk mobile app
1393312490200.jpg  

Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #57

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

You can't go wrong with MOSSBERG 500 JIC II 12/18.5 MBL PG W/CS...loved it Iraq on my road clearance missions. Here's the link to WFarmory: http://www.westforkarmory.com/pump-action-shotguns/1643-mossberg-500-jic-ii-12-185-mbl-pg-w-cs.html

"the only stupid Question is Question not asked"-Albert Einstein