Considering a Shotgun for Home Defense - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Considering a Shotgun for Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

FWIW if it is to be a home defense tool and God forbid you have to use it a jury will probally treat you better if you have a plain jane shotgun of any variety than some craptical thing that looks like it is from the Terminator movies. I keep a Benelli Nova with an 18.5 inch turkey barrel and mag extension loaded with 3.5 number 5 Heavy Shot Turkey loads. If I have to go to court I hopefully come across as a typical guy who defended his property as opposed well a mall ninja.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #42

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yea, and unless you work for some LE agency and your weapon will serve both purposes, keep it simple and void of any insignias like The Punisher or Grim Reaper. That'll get you questioned in court as well.

Sent from my Winchester 1300 Defender using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #43

Liked 531 Times on 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_marquez View Post
Yea, and unless you work for some LE agency and your weapon will serve both purposes, keep it simple and void of any insignias like The Punisher or Grim Reaper. That'll get you questioned in court as well.

If a court makes a decision based on your stickers then they've found a pretty ridiculous jury. I say decorate any way you want. They make grips with punisher logos, Spartan helmets, etc etc. Lights, red dots, and vertical fore grips (imho) won't make a difference in court. If you shoot someone and it's not valid self defense, you will be in jail....stickers or not. You shouldn't have a fear of decking out your weapon how you please. I keep all my shotguns simple, but that's not to say there aren't plenty of people who go "tacti-cool" and use them for hd purposes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
If a court makes a decision based on your stickers then they've found a pretty ridiculous jury. I say decorate any way you want. They make grips with punisher logos, Spartan helmets, etc etc. Lights, red dots, and vertical fore grips (imho) won't make a difference in court. If you shoot someone and it's not valid self defense, you will be in jail....stickers or not. You shouldn't have a fear of decking out your weapon how you please. I keep all my shotguns simple, but that's not to say there aren't plenty of people who go "tacti-cool" and use them for hd purposes.

"Questioned in court" has a huge difference from "a court making a decision". I'm giving the guy who started this post a tip, not a rule.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #45

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
"Questioned in court" has a huge difference from "a court making a decision". I'm giving the guy who started this post a tip, not a rule.

I appreciate the tip buddy but I keep my stuff looking Elmer Fudish. I learned along time ago to keep a low profile. Gotta keep from confusing an uneducated jury.

Last edited by nchunt101; 02-19-2014 at 08:25 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #46

Quote:

Yeah I just don't think we should fear what we do to our own weapons because of what the courts may decide if you have a "sticker" on your gun. You'll have to show me proof of a case where the judge/jury was influenced by a comic book character sticker on someone's gun stock. I just highly doubt it would go that way that's all I'm saying.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I appreciate the tip buddy but I keep my stuff looking Elmer Fudish. I learned along time ago to keep a low profile. Gotta keep from confusing an uneducated jury.
... and we've seen PLENTY of uneducated jurys!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7314 Times on 4044 Posts
Likes Given: 7092

Don't count out a nice short double barrel. The old Savage 311A is a GREAT hd weapon. That short action make it several inches shorter than a pump or semi, and thus easier to manipulate indoors.

They're also very quick to reload.

BUT

If you need more than two rounds of 00 across the bedroom, you've got a bigger problem than your choice of gun!

ďThere aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.Ēhttp://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #49

Quote:
... and we've seen PLENTY of uneducated jurys!

How unfortunately true

Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Don't count out a nice short double barrel. The old Savage 311A is a GREAT hd weapon. That short action make it several inches shorter than a pump or semi, and thus easier to manipulate indoors.

They're also very quick to reload.

BUT

If you need more than two rounds of 00 across the bedroom, you've got a bigger problem than your choice of gun!
What about a miss under stress? I'd want more than 2 in the gun if I had a choice. Hey if you're a good shot and have practiced under extreme stress, I say go for it.