Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Considering a Shotgun for Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
Lately, I've been considering a shotgun for home defense. A shotgun seems like an affordable and effective option. However, since I'm on a tight budget, I'd probably go for something used. Here are some of the key considerations that I'd look at in choosing one:

A Guide to Buying a Shotgun for Home Defense

What do you guys look at when choosing a home defense shotgun? Any particular models that would work well on a budget? Do you think a double-barrel model would be worthwhile? I'm thinking that a double-barrel would be super quick to load and deploy. But, there is that trade off in being limited to two shots.
You can't have double barrel and on a budget in the same sentence. Unless you want some POS. If price is your main consideration get a well made pump shotgun. Ignore all the Chinese and Filipino crap. Find a decent American made gun like a Mossberg, Maverick or Remington. Since most people that buy a shotgun for home defense don't shoot it enough to break it in (200 rounds) I would suggest a Maverick 88 with an extended magazine tube. Just a plain Maverick 88 will do most of the time. But in the event of something like the Rodney King riots the 8 shot magazine could be a life saver.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #32
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1491 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 7365

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You can't have double barrel and on a budget in the same sentence. Unless you want some POS. If price is your main consideration get a well made pump shotgun. Ignore all the Chinese and Filipino crap. Find a decent American made gun like a Mossberg, Maverick or Remington. Since most people that buy a shotgun for home defense don't shoot it enough to break it in (200 rounds) I would suggest a Maverick 88 with an extended magazine tube. Just a plain Maverick 88 will do most of the time. But in the event of something like the Rodney King riots the 8 shot magazine could be a life saver.
Not entirely true on the double barrel comment. One can pick up a used (they are no longer made) Stevens 311 double for around $300 or so, and cut it down. $300 to $400 is cheap for most doubles. Why anyone would want one for HD is beyond me, but hey, to each their own.

Plus one on the Maverick recommendation JD. GD, if you are willing to go used, you can pick up an 870 or 500 for about the cost of a new Maverick 88. If you check into the 88 however, you will find that it is the same basic shotgun as the 500 with only a few minor differences. I had my 88 for close to 2 decades before I gave it to a friend's son so he could go hunting with his dad. In the entire time I had it, the only malfunction I had was a hang up issue with the action bar (mine was an older model with the single bar, the newer ones are double bar) which I fixed with a smithing stone and a bluing kit. That was after 10 years of use by mt father and myself.

The only other issue it had was a rash of light strikes while my friend was trying it out with his son. I broke out the cleaning kit, and field stripped the shotgun over at my truck, and found the problem. He had forgotten to remove the excess oil from some of the internals, mainly the bolt. Since I had not used it in 2 years, I had oiled it for long term storage. Break out the solvent, and lightly re-oil, good as new.

As JD and a few others have recommended, check into the Maverick 88. It is a good shotgun for the money.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20016 Times on 11380 Posts
Likes Given: 50499

i am on my second Maverick 88 shotgun. i highly endorse them as a good option if looking for a new, no frills basic shotgun for SD/HD use or a good budget hunting shotgun. solid design and a proven performer without a doubt. one i bought new and put several thousands of shells through it with nothing more than cleaning and light oiling. the second one is my current one, i bought used for a really good price. i have shot quite a few rounds through it as well and haven't done anything different than what i did with the first one. if a person is looking for something that looks pretty, then look elsewhere, but if looking for a solid performing shotgun that just plain works, then consider the Maverick 88.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Here is good deal on a 8 shot maverick. It is very difficult to find a used 8 shot pump. You can find an 870 with a barrel extension added on it used. YMMV Most people that go through the trouble of locating an 8 shot pump won't let go of them.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_1099/products_id/42628/Maverick+31046+88+12+20+CYL+8RD

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 02-08-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #35

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubus83 View Post
"I'll buy that for a dollar!"

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Been watching a bit of RoboCop?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 AM   #36

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Also I have experience with the 500, 870, and H&R pump. All 3 with work fine. Probably got 80-90 rounds through h&r with no probs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #37

Liked 357 Times on 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If that were true there'd be very few guys who could see.
Just call me Stevie wonder. As far as shotguns, I second the maverick 88 or the mossberg 500, rem 870 etc etc. So many decent hd shotguns for around $300. Parts availability is the only thing that comes into play. I had a rem 870 for years that I bought for $350. Eventually traded it for a moss 590a1. The Remington was great, but I have ADD when it comes to guns. Only a few guns I've kept for more than 5 years before selling/trading and getting something different.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #38

Liked 357 Times on 205 Posts

Oh also, if you buy a used 870 with a magazine tube extension, make sure it was done right. If it was a home gun smithing job, I've seen some where the detent in the factory magazine tube wasn't ground or punched out properly. This causes the shells to bind up in the magazine tube once you load more than 4. I've seen some that people traded in because they f'd them up doing it themselves. Loading shells doesn't seem to be something an lgs does when he gets a shotgun in trade. Maybe bring some snap caps with you to check the action and the magazine tube if you are buying used.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #39

Many guys said 870,also,i love this shotgun~

Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #40

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

HD/SD I have my Winchester 1300 Defender at my bedside. On the far left is my Mossberg 930 SPX Autoloader which is a bit pricier but still a good home defense weapon. On the very far right is a SPAS 12-L which is just mean as phuck but NOT in any way designed for home defense. All 18 inch barrels. My wife in the middle in her clubbing "ghillie suit" helps protect the home too!

Sent from my Winchester 1300 Defender using Firearms Talk mobile app

1392796680756.jpg