Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Considering a new shotgun....need input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

You might consider a 20 gauge side-by-side for upland game. Safer and more reliable than any pump or auto ever made. They are the classic gun for both field and clays

Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
You might consider a 20 gauge side-by-side for upland game. Safer and more reliable than any pump or auto ever made. They are the classic gun for both field and clays
I have a side by side, but I find the two barrels next to each other make it difficult to obtain a good sight picture. It's like my eyes can't decide which plane to look down. Anyone else have this problem?

I want to get an over under to get around that problem.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Years ago I had the same problem until an old man told me to forget the B.S. about keeping both eyes open and just sight down the center rib with one eye. It has worked for me for about 50 years so it might work for you. Give it a try and see how it works out for you.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Years ago I had the same problem until an old man told me to forget the B.S. about keeping both eyes open and just sight down the center rib with one eye. It has worked for me for about 50 years so it might work for you. Give it a try and see how it works out for you.

Eventually I did just that. My clay busting got much better. I still want the over under, so don't tell my wife about that idea.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

I guess I am a lucky man. My wife gave up asking why I needed a new gun about 30 years ago. Now she just asks who I am going to will any new acquisitions to. I have news for all my greedy kids and grandchildren I might be pushing 73 but I plan to be around for a long time. As long as I can still see the front sight this old fart will still be shooting at something

Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Somehow my post got highjacked. I actually ended up purchasing a 870 Express Pump (wood version). I did look at the Benelli Nova, but as I stood at the counter with the Benelli rep in front of me telling me how much better it was than the 870 the Nova jammed twice with nothing in it. Oops.... Plus I did not like the way it felt....seemed too loose. The rep did finally come around to saying the 870 was bullet proof and he owns one too so there ya go.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #17

forgive me, but my friend has a auto-loader... baraska ? im sure im NOT spelling that right, looks like a stoger ? probly misspelt that too....

anyhoo, its a lightweight 12 ga, and pretty sure they comes in 20ga,

he only gave ? 300 bucks for it... silly thing really shoots good !!

myselfe. i like my old 870 16ga.wingmaster, like others have posted, its NEVER failed.

i grew up with the 16ga, .... 870's and winchester 97's...
and one browning sweet 16.auto.

back in my day, us boys would take our shotguns to school, on the bus.. or we walked across the lake, [frozen] ..after skool, we'ed all go duck hunting...
heck ? some of the teachers would go with us !

''sigh'' ..... i really miss those day's... ma and grandma cooking duck, and baking cookies, we boys feeding cows, and chores.. and smelling those good smell's from the house.... ha, bet them horses/cows never got fed faster!!!

peabody

Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
Somehow my post got highjacked. I actually ended up purchasing a 870 Express Pump (wood version). I did look at the Benelli Nova, but as I stood at the counter with the Benelli rep in front of me telling me how much better it was than the 870 the Nova jammed twice with nothing in it. Oops.... Plus I did not like the way it felt....seemed too loose. The rep did finally come around to saying the 870 was bullet proof and he owns one too so there ya go.

oh well... i posted too soon, didnt read yer post till AFTER i posted...ha.

yep ya did's good !!! 870's rock !!!

peabody

Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I have a side by side, but I find the two barrels next to each other make it difficult to obtain a good sight picture. It's like my eyes can't decide which plane to look down. Anyone else have this problem?

I want to get an over under to get around that problem.
If you can find one, SKB made a Sporting Clays version of their Model 385 SxS with a raised rib--the sight plane looks great and is easy to shoot with both eyes open. Thier Model 485 has the same raised rib standard, but is a lot pricier. Great shotguns--my favorite SxS.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #20

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
forgive me, but my friend has a auto-loader... baraska ? im sure im NOT spelling that right, looks like a stoger ? probly misspelt that too....

anyhoo, its a lightweight 12 ga, and pretty sure they comes in 20ga,

he only gave ? 300 bucks for it... silly thing really shoots good !!

myselfe. i like my old 870 16ga.wingmaster, like others have posted, its NEVER failed.

i grew up with the 16ga, .... 870's and winchester 97's...
and one browning sweet 16.auto.

back in my day, us boys would take our shotguns to school, on the bus.. or we walked across the lake, [frozen] ..after skool, we'ed all go duck hunting...
heck ? some of the teachers would go with us !

''sigh'' ..... i really miss those day's... ma and grandma cooking duck, and baking cookies, we boys feeding cows, and chores.. and smelling those good smell's from the house.... ha, bet them horses/cows never got fed faster!!!

peabody
I think your referring to the Baikal mp-153. Great auto-loader.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.