Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Considering a new shotgun....need input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Considering a new shotgun....need input

I am looking to get a new shotgun for upland bird hunting (Pheasant and Grouse specifically). Since both require a bit of walking I am considering a lighter gun (20 gage). I am looking to spend less than $1000. Got any suggestions?

My first and foremost criteria is reliability and durability. Some of the shotguns I am considering are the Remmington 870 Wingmaster, The CZ O/U and The Benelli Super Nova. Would consider a semi-auto as well....but don't know much about them as I have mostly shot pumps.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

For reliabilty, you can't beat a pump. For upland birds, you do want a smooth bore and a long barrel. The 20 gauge is more than able to get the job done, but with a 12, you get more bang for your buck. The Remmy is hard to beat when it comes to affordability and reliability. If you do go with a 20 gauge for ease of carry and quick second shots, then the Benelli may be the go to because it has a tad less felt recoil.

But, for about $1k, there are several other options. Don't look past the side-by-sides of several makes. Even Beretta.

If there is a range near you that has trap and skeet shooting that rents different makes and models, you might want to try a few out, just to see what you like. Also, keep in mind that if you don't like the front sight on the one you like, you can always have it changed.

Let us know what you decide.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks.....I am considering all. I really like the Beretta Silver Pigeon and White Onyx. Not sure how they shoot, but they feel great in hand!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For $1K you can get a very nice O/U from Browning, Beretta, SKB, Remington, and others. My personal favorite for upland game is a 28 gauge side by side, but they are a little harder to find in that price point. I would stick with a 20 gauge or lighter, as on upland game there is no bird/rabbit that will know the difference and they are much nicer to carry for the day. You can find a slightly used Browning BSS, Winchester 23, or SKB 385 SXSs for around $1K in 20 gauge if you look hard--that would be my advice.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 08-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

The Benelli Nova/Supernova gets my vote. There is no higher quality pump out there in my opinion.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I can find one, I have been wanting to add a CZ 12 gauge 26" upland ultralight to the collection. It is roughly a 6 lb. over and under. Reviews have been good so far. Should be able to pick one up in the $725.00 range if you can find a dealer that works with you.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

Whichever gun you buy, be certain that with snug cheek pressure on the comb, you are looking right along the surface of the vent rib. You want to avoid having to use too much or too little cheek pressure to look along the surface. Both are likely to cause the comb to smack you in the cheek during recoil ("cheek slap").

Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #8

Everything about this Website is atypical.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
I am looking to get a new shotgun for upland bird hunting (Pheasant and Grouse specifically). Since both require a bit of walking I am considering a lighter gun (20 gage). I am looking to spend less than $1000. Got any suggestions?

My first and foremost criteria is reliability and durability. Some of the shotguns I am considering are the Remmington 870 Wingmaster, The CZ O/U and The Benelli Super Nova. Would consider a semi-auto as well....but don't know much about them as I have mostly shot pumps.
Nothing wrong with a 20ga. Rem 870 Upland. Even an 11/87 Upland. Both are proven platforms and effective performers. I have an 870 12ga I have owned since 1976 that has never failed me once no matter what the situation or circumstances. It is worn and scarred up. Looking awful pathetic sitting in the safe among a few other high grade doubles and such, but that just makes it easier to pick out when its time to go down some birds for the grill next weekend...

Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

You can't beat the quick follow up of a double gun. And it is very easy to safe and tell what's in the chamber. And it's helpful to have the different chokes when the bird is moving away from you.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA