Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Consesus on maverick 88 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/consesus-maverick-88-a-77218/)

408essj 11-27-2012 05:08 PM

Consesus on maverick 88

Is it looked down upon? I know it's the "poor mans" shotgun so I've read.
I may buy one for the simple reason it's in the price range for what I "need" it for..
Those needs are I don't need it lol just want it to mess around with at the range ever few trips or so.
I have a home defense weapon that is at arms reach in a safe, this shotgun will sit with a lock and our away in a case in the attic.

Is there any other reliable shotguns in the "dumb" cheap category other than the 88?

Thanks in advance

Axxe55 11-27-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408essj (Post 1029228)
Is it looked down upon? I know it's the "poor mans" shotgun so I've read.
I may buy one for the simple reason it's in the price range for what I "need" it for..
Those needs are I don't need it lol just want it to mess around with at the range ever few trips or so.
I have a home defense weapon that is at arms reach in a safe, this shotgun will sit with a lock and our away in a case in the attic.

Is there any other reliable shotguns in the "dumb" cheap category other than the 88?

Thanks in advance

actually the Maverick M88 is a pretty decent shotgun for the price. i have had a couple in the past and currently own one. i have been well pleased with all of them. they are just an economy version of the Mossberg M500 with some minor differences. many parts and accessories for the M500 will work on the M88 as well.

rhyno13 11-27-2012 06:25 PM

It will perform the job it was designed to do. You can't really go wrong with that.

kfox75 11-27-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1029289)
actually the Maverick M88 is a pretty decent shotgun for the price. i have had a couple in the past and currently own one. i have been well pleased with all of them. they are just an economy version of the Mossberg M500 with some minor differences. many parts and accessories for the M500 will work on the M88 as well.

QFT. I had a Maverick 88 for over 15 years. The only reason I don't have it now is that a friend's Remington 870 fit ma a little better, and he was up for a trade. His son now has it, and I would be willing to bet that the son will pass it on to his son or daughter when they are ready for it. If you buy one, you will have a good shotgun at a great price IMHO.

Mosin 11-27-2012 07:50 PM

I have 2. Good shotguns and recommend them. Mine has seen rain, snow, freezing temperatures. Dropped out of a tree stand, and fired with every bit of ammo I've come across.
The ONLY problem I've come across is that it developed some rust, however, they get ridden hard and put away wet.
I have ZERO hesitation recommending an 88 as a pump shotgun.

longunner 11-30-2012 09:17 PM

Excellent shotgun mine was my first gun and its worked great for me. I say go for it I think the location of both the safety and the slide release are in much better place than the 500.

Underdog 12-01-2012 01:43 AM

I bought one for my son 2 years ago for Christmas. I was very impressed with it at the range, it has handled everything from slugs to 3" turkey loads. I would highly recommend one.

Blueguns 12-01-2012 03:06 AM

M88 is pretty good for the price. I hear good things about it. The only other similar gun I can think of is the H&R Pardner Pump.

Keginth28 12-02-2012 06:20 PM

I just bought mine on Black Friday and it was 149 without tax. And I've been shooting all type of shells out of it and haven't felled yet!!! Good shotty!

racer_x 12-02-2012 06:52 PM

I shot one a few weeks ago, the only complaint i have is the pump was hard i say hard i mean harder then my old sears model 20 that without shells it will open all the way by itsself. Ive been shooting my sears for over 25 years could be why.