Compare functionality, etc of Mossberg 500 with pistol grip vs pistol grip with ext

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Compare functionality, etc of Mossberg 500 with pistol grip vs pistol grip with ext

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Compare functionality, etc of Mossberg 500 with pistol grip vs pistol grip with ext

I was originally looking for 500 wtih just the pistol grip but now kind of wondering if the pistol grip with extension butt stock might be pretty useful. I have not really looked at the swing away butt stock but also looking for cheap and I think those can get pricey.

Basically asking how controllable and practical is a pistol gripped 12ga? Is the butt stock the better way to go? This is mostly for HD but I might just get another barrel and take it hunting too. In that case, the butt would be needed. Otherwise it would be kept in short and ready mode. Looking for 18.5" barrel, high cap tube, heat shield, etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have never fired a shotgun with just the pistol grip but I know people that have. They have told me that the combination of short barrel, heavy 00/000 buck loads and no shoulder support can lead to some serious recoil that makes the gun painful to shoot.

Personally I would want the gun braced against my shoulder because with a pistol grip only shotgun I would be inclined to drop the gun down and shoot from the hip area.