Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Colt 1883 double help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/colt-1883-double-help-32425/)

TheOldMan 09-30-2010 02:40 PM

Colt 1883 double help

I've got a fella who's asked me to restore a couple shotguns for him. A '97 Winchester and an 1883 Colt 10ga double. The '97 won't be a problem to work on however the 1883 really needs a new butt stock. Is there anyone here that knows where I can find one?

The stock that's on it was a replacement that someone tried to make work but couldn't. The gun is shootable but he would like it brought back to original condition if at all possible.

I'll upload some pictures later to show you what I mean.

c3shooter 09-30-2010 04:08 PM

Colt 1883 Hammerless Shotgun

Give these folks a call- if they don't have it, they may be able to help.

FWIW, I think those were damascus black powder barrels. Don't know how shootable that will be, stock or no stock. Good luck!

TheOldMan 09-30-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 360397)
Colt 1883 Hammerless Shotgun

Give these folks a call- if they don't have it, they may be able to help.

FWIW, I think those were damascus black powder barrels. Don't know how shootable that will be, stock or no stock. Good luck!

Thanks C3..

Guess I should have said servicable. The fella had no idea he had damascus barrels on his double and had fired a couple rounds of modern loaded shells in it before I told him what he had. He'll not shoot it again at least not with modern shot shells.

If it's ever shot again, it will be with BP loads. Thanks for the link also. I can always count on you to provide info on these old guns.I gave the fella a call and he's out of stocks for pretty much everything. Only source he could provide was someone who makes stocks for the colt lightnings. Says he mostly sells on ebay or gunbroker. Both sites I cannot access from my work computer unfortunatelly.

TheOldMan 09-13-2011 06:22 PM

LOL..I can hear ya'll now.. What the heck is he posting to a one year old thread for....? Wellll lemme tell ya.

That fella did indeed have me restore his 1883 Colt Double. In fact I will be getting the gun back first part of next week.. We located a vendor for the original stock ( macongunstocks.net ) and after restoring the metal myself, decided a pro should do the final fit of the stock while I do the final finish work after. He's a very busy man and the client was not in too great a hurry so three months after dropping it off, I'll be getting it back for me to do the final sanding and finish work.

I want to post pictures for all to see once I've completed it.. One thing of particular note is that this colt double did NOT have damascus barrels...! I've yet to find any information on how this could have occured but it has been confirmed that the barrels are regular steel. I have an 1883 of my own that does have damascus barrels and his barrels inside and out are all steel.

I expect it will be at least another two weeks before she is completed but I'll post pictures of everything ....