College Kid Looking for a cheap Trap Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > College Kid Looking for a cheap Trap Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default College Kid Looking for a cheap Trap Gun

Hi I have been looking on gunbroker.com at semi auto and over under trap guns. Already have an ffl set up. I know this is going to make me sound cheap but I'm looking for the best quality at around $400. I don't have much money to spend on a gun but using a loner is no good. So anyone who knows about cheap guns and trap shooting please post on what I should do.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #2

There are always auctions at Proxibid.com that may have suitable shotguns, and you'll pay fair market value this way, if not less. I watched one yesterday that had Hi-Point 9mm pistols going for $60-90 (several for sale, and most looked to be in good condition). Yeah, they're butt-ugly pistols, but seem to hold up well for a low-end firearm. The turn-around is good, and you're dealing with licensed auctioneers. If they try anything funky, a report to their State Certification Board can produce some fast and positive results.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #3

Remington 1100? Something to look at.
But you'll have to find ones that are comfortable for you.

S.S.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

a remington 1100 is a good place to start. if you buy a used one you might be able to buy a new trap barrel, the ribs on top of the gun act as a conventional site so you can just aim at the target. I don't know how much they cost but something to think about if your frugality permits it...

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Great suggestions all the way around. I, personally, shoot side by sides for bird hunting and trap shooting. I am especially fond of the sporting nature of this type of shotgun and the inherent safety of having a break-open chamber. Again, this is just my personal observation.

I looked and found this one brand new and pretty cheap at Bud's:

Spartan 89520 SPR210 SBS 12 28 3 SC4 BL for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $325.00

Take a look, then maybe surf some more through the site. I got this link from FT a few months ago, and have found that trading with Gurney is a very good experience.

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

That is one great suggestion, Aces. Heck, I'd get one if I ever get into wing shooting, and I've been thinking about it. Kinda looks a little old school, too.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

OK, OK - I'll admit that I feel I was born 125 years too late. My shotguns are side-by-side, my rifles are either doubles or lever-action, and my pistols are six-shooters. I just love the classic designs and simplicity. Or, to be completely honest, maybe it makes me feel a little like Doc Holliday...

Next time you're in North Texas, gimme a shout. We'll go devastate the skies with birdshot and I'll even show ya some of the best recipes for the grill. That goes for you, too, College Boy.

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #8

Ok guys thanks for the advice!
I have spent some time and I am pretty set on a used Remington 1100 or 1187.
Haven't found the right one but haven't really checked local gun shops.
Will keep in touch thanks again.

Last edited by b3a5tly; 07-13-2009 at 05:02 AM.