Coach Gun for home defense? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Coach Gun for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8015 Times on 4385 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

If you don't get the job done with two rounds of 12 guage, you've got real problems.

I prefer a good semi-auto, but I'd feel completely comfortable with a double.

Or at least they did before political correctness

Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like sxs and o/u I shoot them the most for hunting and sporting clays and there long guns but I don't have a tight corner house and iv shot everything from watermelons to bricks and even shaving cream cans iv got probly 15000 rounds through the o/u and to say I'm comfortable with it is an understatement.

As for shooting both barrels at once I've done it with friends short barrel 12 and really its fun but for HD shoot one and use the other if you need it.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Double trigger guns cannot go off at once as each trigger is pulled one after the other but very quickly...
I'm not sure how you could say this unless you're "technically speaking" about the fraction of a second that may exist between trigger pulls. On my S/S, I have 2 triggers. I put my index finger on one trigger and my middle finger on the other. I have intentionally pulled them at the same time to fire both barrels at once. When I did, there was no noticeable difference in the report--there was a single blast. The recoil was substantially stronger when pulling both triggers together than when I pulled each trigger individually as it's own aimed shot. That indicated--to me--that both barrels had fired at the same time.
Other than, perhaps, a technical measurement of fractions of a second between each trigger pull--I will assert that, for all intents and purposes, the double triggered Stoeger 12 ga. Coach Gun will let you fire both barrels together.
Granted, mine was purchased in the late 90's. I don't know if IGA-Stoeger has changed the mechanism in the trigger or not. My coach gun has no block, lock, or other hinderance to pulling both triggers at the same time.

I'd like to add; however, that I don't see much reason to pull both triggers together. The recoil is nothing short of PUNISHING! (with the loads you'll use for HD, e.g. buckshot)...and you limit yourself to ONE shot before reload.

Last edited by totallyfrozen; 07-02-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #24

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I would feel very comfortable having a double trigger 12 gauge as my meet and greet gun. Something to think about with a gun like this, it is the quickest follow up shot in the business. I would however have a second gun at the ready if needed. Just my opinion.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #25
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2497 Times on 1512 Posts
Likes Given: 13700

From the mid 1950s to the late 1970s my grandfather was a NYS Trooper. During his tenure, he patroled many miles alone with backup being minutes away, and potential trouble seconds away. His silent partner was a cut down double barrel that sat, broken open and loaded with #1 buck, across the transmission hump of his cruiser. He never had to shoot it to stop a threat, but it did come into play as a visual deterant on more than one occaision while backup was en route. All he had to do was grab and pull it towards himself, shoulder it, and flip it to fire, and it was ready to go. BG compliant and covered. Would I use either of my doubles for HD? If I had one of my pistols or a person I trust, armed and watching my 6, yes. Would I prefer my 870 if it's just me? Probably. Point is, either one will do the job if it is used correctly, and you are comfortable with it. If you choose a double for HD, learn the art of the rapid reload and keep extra shells handy. You just might need them.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My #1 go-to, primary "everything gun" is my Winchester 1300 Ranger/Defender combo 12 ga. pump. It has an 18" barrel for meeting trouble and a 26" barrel with interchangeable screw-in chokes for hunting game. I can configure the magazine to hold 4 shots if game laws require it and I have a mag extension on it allowing 7 rounds in the tube. Like I said, it's main everything gun.

That said, being your Average Joe law-abiding citizen with no ties to the crime world, I really can't imagine a home invasion senario where I'd be up against a small army. My point being, unless you're a godawful shot, I don't know why you'd need 7 or 8 rounds to hit a target within the familiar space of your own home. I'd be surprised if you'd need more than one or two well placed shots to handle the business. If you expect to panic and simple "pray and spray", I suppose even 25 rounds might not be enough. Not to mention everyone of those rounds has to land somewhere so while you're runnin' & gunnin' you're blowing apart the doors and walls of your abode.

I prefer my Winchester pump for everything but I think a double gun is a reasonable choice for HD. Is having more rounds better? I suppose it is but if you don't hit the target with the first 2, I don't know why you'd expect to hit it with the other 5.

Pumps can be had for the same price as a Stoeger coach but if you have good reason to choose a coach gun over a pump, I don't see how it'd be a poor choice.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.