Coach Gun for home defense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Coach Gun for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, another reason I was thinking about it is size. Coach guns are downright small, for a shotgun with a stock, and still pack a whallop.

I suppose a mossy or 870 with a pistol grip would be smaller, but you lose the control of the stock.

I figure it'd be a HELL of alot easier to navigate through hallways with a coach gun that a full length 870 or 500, and probably still a bit easier than one with a 20" barrell and 8 shot tube.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Also, another reason I was thinking about it is size. Coach guns are downright small, for a shotgun with a stock, and still pack a whallop.

I suppose a mossy or 870 with a pistol grip would be smaller, but you lose the control of the stock.

I figure it'd be a HELL of alot easier to navigate through hallways with a coach gun that a full length 870 or 500, and probably still a bit easier than one with a 20" barrell and 8 shot tube.
A gun with an 18" barrel and either no stock or a collapsible stock is pretty small. You can get around very well. You're right that a full-length bird gun is not the best choice for pieing an area and clearing your house.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Be a man, get a single trigger. That way, you can give them both barrels with one easy trigger pull.

Damn, that's a mess I wouldn't want in my house.
Actually, it's not possible to shoot both barrels simultaneously on the single trigger models. The first pull discharges the right barrel which has an Improved Cylinder choke; the second pull discharges the left barrel which has a Modified choke (unless you get the expensive model with interchangeable chokes).

I own a Stoeger coach gun (not the new black one but an older one from about 13 years ago). It has double triggers (no hammers). I have the option of firing one barrel at a time or both barrels.

The one thing I find silly about the chokes is having different chokes on a shotgun with 20" barrels. IMO, the barrels simply are not long enough to benefit from various chokes (and having interchangeable chokes on a barrel only 20" is pointless, as far as I'm concerned). IMO, both barrel should have Cylinder bore choke.

I think the real challenge of using the coach gun in defense is practicing to be able to reload very quickly. It requires practice, practice, practice.

I also have a Winchester 1300 Defender with an 18" barrel and an extended mag to hold 7 rounds. The Winchester is my preferred defense gun, but I don't count the coach gun as useless or a silly idea. It'll work if you practice with it...IMHO.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #14

Liked 3120 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 2159

i use my coachgun as my HD. i like a few things about it.

1) its a shotgun
2) short, maneuverable
3) easy to understand for family members not as familiar with guns
4) easy to load and unload...like when you leave your house..... i always thought it would be the most bitter irony if someone broke into my house and ended up using my gun on me.
5) quick & safe....all i have to do is close the action & ready to go, not much chance of accidental discharge being that you don't have a round "in the chamber."

only downside is ....two shots.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #15

Liked 2385 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Read a thread on another site about a guy taking a Stevens side by side and cutting it down to a minimal length gun as a truck gun. Seemed like a pretty neat project. In a defensive situation, hopefully you would only need two shots. I like the reassurance of extra shots though. I like my pump guns.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #16

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I agree a pump gun would be better overall, but, I think a double-barrel coach-type has some unique if not minor advantages and would be adequate in most situations. It would not leave me feeling undergunned if I needed a closer range longarm. I would want extra ammo readily available tho.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #17

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would get a pump for home defense. You get more rounds and you can buy a good pump for the same price as a double barrel. And also there's more aftermarket mods for pumps than double barrels. There's alot of cool stuff out there for Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Double trigger guns cannot go off at once as each trigger is pulled one after the other but very quickly. My cz ringneck SxS has single trigger and ive had it double or bump fire from improper technique. I couldnt shoot anymore for a week. Stock wasnt seated right and it pounded me twice in such rapid fashion it felt like one massive shot in just the wrong place.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #19

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The choice of weapons for use in the home is a tough call. Some years ago we tested 12 Ga. short guns with heavy loads. This was done in an old home which was being torn down. This was a sturdy no plaster board house. The damage done to walls and furniture around the exit areas hit with Buck Shot was increible. Shot that went thru bed room walls sprayed wood and plaster thru out the entire room. Anyone sleeping in one of those rooms would have been wounded or worse. The short Aguilla Shot Shells #7 1/2 shot worked best with little damage to inside walls. You have to consider your family as well as taking out a BG.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #20

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
OK- I will be the odd man out.

Would I consider a good pump better? Probably. HOWEVER....

How many shots are you going to take? And in average home defense, how many rounds get fired?

Some folks like the ability to keep a shotgun unloaded, but load VERY quickly. Go watch some of the serious competitors on Single Action Shooting (Cowboy up!)- those sxs scatterguns reload REALLY fast if you know what you are doing. AND- you don't have the problem of short-strokin' a pump (ask a range officer how many rookie LEOs do that) if a hammer spring or firing pin breaks, you have another, etc.

PS- my Uncle Bill drove up on a burglary in progress at his daughter's home. Bad guy ran outside, and fired a pistol at Uncle Bill. Only thing he had in the truck was my grandad's 12 g. Parker. It worked.

But last- food for thought, guys- some folks live in areas that have outlawed pump and autoloader shotguns. Under those circumstances, if you choice were a SXS or my pellet rifle, well, HELL-O LC Smith!

C3 you're not that odd! I have kids in my house and don't want to leave a loaded gun laying around. Yes my kids know gun safety but that's another discussion. I keep the stage coach broken open but empty by my bed. I have 2 3" #7 shells hidden around the room up out of reach. If I ever need the gun I have it and can load it quicker and quieter than a pump. The gun safe is nearby so all I need it for is to get to the kids and get to the gun safe.I put it back in the safe every morning and we're good to go.I live in an apartment my neighbors bedroom is on the other side of the wall. I'm not looking to go confront anyone just keep my kids safe until LEOs show up. The bedrooms are upstairs and I have a clear shot at the head of the stairs but going down is blind.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always