Coach Gun for home defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Coach Gun for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Coach Gun for home defense?

I'm wondering what the opinion would be on a coach gun for home defense? Or maybe even just a SxS with longer barrels?

Makes some sense to me, i know you'd be limited in the fact that you only have 2 shots, but it sort of seems like the "revolver" of shotguns. Not a whole lot can go wrong with the gun. Just slip the safety with your thumb and away you go. No action to work or anything (assuming there are no external hammers). Nice and quiet until it goes BOOM.

Or, is this just a dumb idea, kind of "why would you get a SxS over a mossberg or remington pump?"

Just curious to hear some opinions!

Also, i'm not talking about the stupid Stoeger "double defense" hahaha. I dont need rails on my SxS

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Makes some sense to me, i know you'd be limited in the fact that you only have 2 shots, but it sort of seems like the "revolver" of shotguns. Not a whole lot can go wrong with the gun. Just slip the safety with your thumb and away you go. No action to work or anything (assuming there are no external hammers). Nice and quiet until it goes BOOM.
In my opinion there is no beating a good 870 or 500 pump. They are proven platforms and i've never know either one to have any failures (aside from interwebz hearsay). If you're looking for quiet, just leave a round chambered, but one of the most interesting aspects of a shotgun is the psychological advantage it gives you. Anyone with enough pudding-brain to hang around after hearing the "shick-clack" of a round being chambered into a 12 gauge probably deserves what's around the corner.

I can't think of a single reason why a side by side would have any advantage over a good American pump, other than the quicker follow up shot, but you only get one. How much hamburger do you want to make?

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Last edited by OlPainless; 10-13-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Add my voice to the choir for the 870 (or 590). Snip the barrel down to 18 inches, stick a mag tube extender on it, load it full of buck, and you have an outstanding home defense tool. If you don't like the noise of racking a pump, keep a shell in the chamber.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

When you lay both barrels of 3" 00 buck into a bad guy, his buddies aren't likely to hang out and fight.

I happen to like the Double Defense, it would be nice to throw an EOTech onto one. The 65 MOA circle would be awesome for quick acquisition on 25 foot+ shots.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The only advantage of a double barrel would be no chance of a jamb,I would think two barrels of 00 buck would solve most attitude problems you would encounter. I would put one of those ammo bands on the stocks that hold extra ammo so you wouldn't be fumbling around trying to reload.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, and the point of the coach or SxS is that its plain and simple, 2 triggers, pull pull reload asses the situation.

I'm not one for the "rack the slide and let anyone who may or may not be armed and may or may not want to harm you that you have a shotgun loaded and ready to shoot and also exactly where you are" system. I agree, if i had a pump it would be chambered and saftied, but still.

So, a coach gun would be fun for shooting as well, but pretty much useless as far as any shooting beyond basic recreation or cowboy action.

Oh and...how useful for other crap would a coach gun be if it had interchangeable chokes? I know the fancy version of the stoegers have chokes.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 10-13-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Two shots is probably adequate if you hit your target. I prefer 8 opportunities to two. But that's just me.

As for jams, I've had a stovepipe or two from some light loads a buddy made up, but otherwise nothing. I get you that the simplicity of the coach is desirable, but the added complexity of a pump ain't that bad and either the Remington or Mossberg are very reliable.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Yeah, and the point of the coach or SxS is that its plain and simple, 2 triggers, pull pull reload asses the situation.
Be a man, get a single trigger. That way, you can give them both barrels with one easy trigger pull.

Damn, that's a mess I wouldn't want in my house.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

A Coach gun is a perfectly adequate HD shotgun just like a Single Action Army loaded properly with 5 rounds of your favorite black powder cartridge is a good concealed carry handgun.

There are many superior firearms that have been invented in the 20th century that will be better choices.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

OK- I will be the odd man out.

Would I consider a good pump better? Probably. HOWEVER....

How many shots are you going to take? And in average home defense, how many rounds get fired?

Some folks like the ability to keep a shotgun unloaded, but load VERY quickly. Go watch some of the serious competitors on Single Action Shooting (Cowboy up!)- those sxs scatterguns reload REALLY fast if you know what you are doing. AND- you don't have the problem of short-strokin' a pump (ask a range officer how many rookie LEOs do that) if a hammer spring or firing pin breaks, you have another, etc.

PS- my Uncle Bill drove up on a burglary in progress at his daughter's home. Bad guy ran outside, and fired a pistol at Uncle Bill. Only thing he had in the truck was my grandad's 12 g. Parker. It worked.

But last- food for thought, guys- some folks live in areas that have outlawed pump and autoloader shotguns. Under those circumstances, if you choice were a SXS or my pellet rifle, well, HELL-O LC Smith!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-14-2009 at 01:02 AM.
locutus Likes This