Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Clear coat for wooded parts on Remington 870-Express Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Clear coat for wooded parts on Remington 870-Express Shotgun

Hi,

Just purchased my first shotgun.. a Remington 870-Express.
What clear coat can a put on the wooden parts on it? It does say that they are 'laminated', but still want to have a real shine on them just like how one sees on few rifle's butts.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate it.

Thx.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #2

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGlocker View Post
Hi,

Just purchased my first shotgun.. a Remington 870-Express.
What clear coat can a put on the wooden parts on it? It does say that they are 'laminated', but still want to have a real shine on them just like how one sees on few rifle's butts.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate it.

Thx.

Gosh - I wish I knew!

I tried refinishing one with a spray on gloss polyurethane. I still believe it will produce the finish you describe but many coats of it are required to do so. In between each coat, you must let it dry for at least 3 days (I did a week) before you sand it down and repeat untill the wood grain is filled. After the grain has filled, 2 or 3 finishing coats will be required.

Each time ONE RUN ruined the look of one of a finishing coat and I had to remove the entire finish and start over. I could get several coats on but that ONE RUN messed it up each time!

I'm hopeing someone has an easier way - I'll not try the one above again and do not recommend it. I did succeed in refinishing it with a satin polyurethane but did not try to sand it down to remove the wood grain look.

Last edited by RaySendero; 11-09-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Gosh - I wish I knew!

I tried refinishing one with a spray on gloss polyurethane. I still believe it will produce the finish you describe but many coats of it are required to do so. In between each coat, you must let it dry for at least 3 days (I did a week) before you sand it down and repeat untill the wood grain is filled. After the grain has filled, 2 or 3 finishing coats will be required.

Each time ONE RUN ruined the look of one of a finishing coat and I had to remove the entire finish and start over. I could get several coats on but that ONE RUN messed it up each time!

I'm hopeing someone has an easier way - I'll not try the one above again and do not recommend it. I did succeed in refinishing it with a satin polyurethane but did not try to sand it down to remove the wood grain look.

So, anyone with an easy suggestions?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Minwax Wipe-On Poly

I found a nice product at Home Depot from Minwax. It's a satin wipe-on poly, intended to be wiped on with a clean rag rather than brushed on. Two or three coats over the stain of your preference leaves a rifle stock looking like an oil finish, but it will have the durability of polyurethane. I've used it on several of my own long guns, and a few owned by buddies too. No runs, no streaks, even finish, & darn easy to apply...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #5

i just redid my dads 44 dan wesson pistol grip with a birchwood casey product called tru-oil i put 3 coats on with a rag and it looks really nice and shiney no runs and the bottle says it only needs 2hrs between coats i waited 10 looks awesome

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #6

I sure will try these... thank you.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #7

If you just want to shine it up a bit, I've had good luck rubbing in boiled linseed oil. If you want protection and a small bit of a shine, try a quality hard (paste, in a can) floor or furniture wax.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
If you just want to shine it up a bit, I've had good luck rubbing in boiled linseed oil. If you want protection and a small bit of a shine, try a quality hard (paste, in a can) floor or furniture wax.

Furniture polish... hmmm. !!! That's a thought.!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGlocker View Post
Furniture polish... hmmm. !!! That's a thought.!!!
Used it to weatherize a shotgun that my son was using in a trap league. Worked great, plus it gave a nice luster and feel to the wood.