Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Clay target shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/clay-target-shooting-90875/)

rmsmith76 05-18-2013 12:19 PM

Clay target shooting

Hi guys, newbie from Oz here, just wondering if any of you are in to clay target shooting and what discipline you enjoy, I must say I love it...

Virginian 05-18-2013 01:47 PM

I enjoy killing the clay pigeons too. Never been too much into trap, but like Skeet and Sporting Clays, except for the prices. Lately I shoot more "pasture clays". I have an electric trap set up to throw targets faster than the ranges do, and I can move around and get different angles and stuff, even to shooting in the woods. A buddy also has a couple and we shot AT about 600 clays a few weeks ago. Did okay overall, but really bad with a Taurus Judge. :D

bobski 05-23-2013 01:27 AM

i live and breathe it.
smith76....what state you in?

Gatoragn 05-23-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1255359)
i live and breathe it.
smith76....what state you in?

Oz = Australia, methinks.

indy36 05-23-2013 02:15 AM

I've been shooting skeet here in Indiana. Gone 8 times in the last 4 weeks. I love it.

rmsmith76 05-23-2013 07:46 AM

Yeah Melbourne Australia.... And it's great fun ain't it, as soon as I leave all I want to do is go back...

Virginian 05-23-2013 10:30 AM

I sent some parts he couldn't locate to a guy in Australia I met on a model railroad forum. Sent them in with a model train car kit. (I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has long expired) What do they let you shoot down there since the great gun grab?

rmsmith76 05-23-2013 01:43 PM

The wildlife in Australia is amazing as I'm sure you'd know, plenty of rabbit, fox, duck, quail, goat, pig and deer.... But the laws on where and when you can shoot is pretty strict, that's why I spend a bit of time at the rifle range or clay shooting.. And as far as what guns we can have I reckon could be counted on one hand.. Our laws are completely screwed... Even if your licensed, you have to get a permit to acquire any new gun, which has to be approved by the police with a valid reason for having it, then there's a 28 day waiting period if its approved... And keeping your licence is even stricter, a friend of mines son was killed walking home from school by a drunk driver, and within hours the cops were knocking on his door taking everything he owned "in case he retaliated"... He had to fight it in court at a cost of over $3,000 to get them and his license back... And he never mentioned anything about retaliation, it was just in case... Another friend split up with his wife and the same thing happened... Our laws are bull****, it's easier to get one illegally than legally...

cottontop 05-23-2013 03:20 PM

I am a Florida State Games gold medalist in the 55 and older class in skeet (won the bronze the year before that). Soon after that, I started leaning more toward rifle shooting, collecting, and reloading for rifles. I still have my skeet guns and still shoot skeet on occasion. I don't care much for sporting clays.
ct

duddie10 05-23-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1255786)
I am a Florida State Games gold medalist in the 55 and older class in skeet (won the bronze the year before that). Soon after that, I started leaning more toward rifle shooting, collecting, and reloading for rifles. I still have my skeet guns and still shoot skeet on occasion. I don't care much for sporting clays.
ct

Thats awsome. How would i get started. I love skeet and trap shooting.