Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Chopping up a shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/chopping-up-shotgun-77035/)

aandabooks 11-25-2012 03:58 AM

Chopping up a shotgun

FIL gave me a shotgun he picked up on a Black Friday sale several years ago at Dunham's for just under $100. He has never liked it and I have never shot it. It is a Chinese knockoff of an Ithaca 37. Has a screw-in choke and the barrel says not to shoot steel out of it.

I don't need it but he insisted that I take it. I was thinking about chopping it up and turning it into a short barrel pistol grip pump. Anything I would do to it would stay on the legal side. Would I be ok to cut down the barrel with it saying lead only and losing the choke? Would the barrel be likely to split?

Or, should I take it to my LGS and use it as trade fodder towards my next gun that I want?

Blueguns 11-25-2012 04:05 AM

As long as you keep the barrel at a legal length you should be okay. I'm not sure about Illinois gun laws, but I'm from California so our laws should be similar.

As far as I know pistol grip shotguns are legal in IL.

Blueguns 11-25-2012 04:14 AM

So I found out that the overall length of the gun must be 26" and the barrel length must be 18". The pistol grip should be fine. I would double check me though, just be sure.

BillDeShivs 11-25-2012 04:23 AM

Think long and hard before you cut the stock to a pistol grip. You can't put it back. If you cut the stock, you will have to deal with the stock bolt-which will be too long for the pg, and will have to be shortened and rethreaded. Then, you will have a large hole in the grip.
The barrel will be fine with lead shot.

primer1 11-25-2012 06:42 AM

I would keep the stock too. I've never shot a pistol grip, but people that have say it isn't too pleasant. The stock with the short barrel would be almost carbine like, imho.

Chainfire 11-25-2012 11:02 AM

I put a pistol grip on my HD shotgun. It did not stay on there very long before I replaced the wood. The recoil of a shotgun begs for a shoulder to rest it on. I found that the trade in size was not worth the lack of ability to aim.

Underdog 11-25-2012 11:09 AM

I would use it towards a trade for something you do want. A PGO shotgun is fun for all of 5 minutes, it will hurt you. They are cool to look at but no fun to shoot.

HOSSFLY 11-25-2012 12:38 PM

Trade it in-
Even a cheepo full shotgun is better than a cut up POS :o

therewolf 11-25-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1026282)
Trade it in-
Even a cheepo full shotgun is better than a cut up POS :o

Please don't bubba another gun for us to wade through at the hock shop.

Those cut-downs all look great in the movies, but the recoil is punishing,

and, in the end, you pretty much have a useless gun.

hiwall 11-25-2012 12:46 PM

The guys above have sound advise. If you cut the barrel and dress it up nice, it will not effect trade-in value. Most(even in gun shop) would not know it was cut(or care as short barreled shotguns sell good).