Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Chokes for Trap Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/chokes-trap-shooting-41244/)

SpartanShooter 04-14-2011 12:33 AM

Chokes for Trap Shooting

So I just started shooting trap for my high school trap team. I'm using a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel, and the shells we're using are 2 3/4 7 Shot. I've been using a full choke in it for the past 2 weeks, and I've been shooting pretty well. My team mates are using all sorts of chokes, and I want to try a modified choke, but I don't know if it's a good idea. Ideas or advice?

c3shooter 04-14-2011 01:06 AM

Modified will have a pattern that opens more quickly than full, resulting in a larger but less dense pattern at the same range. The fit of the shotgun to the shooter will, IMHO, be much more important than the choke- trap guns typically have a higher comb and higher rib than skeet, which is higher than a sporting gun. Try it. see how it works for you.

Understanding Shotgun Chokes, A brief explanation by Briley

And I almost forgot- welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop over at the intro thread and say howdy.

tonydewar 04-17-2011 04:28 AM

try it and see i shoot mod or im for trap .experament and see what works for YOU

maierar 04-17-2011 04:23 PM

You may also want to shoot smaller shot. Are you a fast shooter or a slow shooter? If fast, in 16 yd. trap, your target is about 30-35 yds. out. Try Imp cyl or mod with #8 or 8 1/2 shot. If you take your time, your target will be further out, maybe 40 yards so maybe try mod or imp mod with #8 or 7 1/2 shot.

tonydewar 04-17-2011 06:02 PM

imho 8 it great for skeet but to small for trap if you ever get a chance walk a trap field and see how many clays you find with a chip or 1 or 2 hits that didnt break

ta1588 04-18-2011 01:14 AM

I use Improved Cylinder for close range duck hunting and for shooting clays. Works wonderfully for me.

tonydewar 04-18-2011 02:19 AM

sporting clays mostly ic and lm trap m or im

Wambli 04-24-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpartanShooter (Post 485794)
So I just started shooting trap for my high school trap team. I'm using a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel, and the shells we're using are 2 3/4 7 Shot. I've been using a full choke in it for the past 2 weeks, and I've been shooting pretty well. My team mates are using all sorts of chokes, and I want to try a modified choke, but I don't know if it's a good idea. Ideas or advice?

put a board out at 35-40 yards and pattern your shotgun with different shot/choke combos and see where you get the most centered, even pattern and stick to that combination. Every shotgun is different. For a new shooter when in doubt a more open choke is better. You might not get 25's all the time but your average will improve until you get better, then you move to a full choke and smoke them consistently.

I shoot 8 or 7 1/2 interchangeably with no change in my scores BUT I shoot a full choke, I either smoke them or miss completely (mostly smoke them :D)