Chokes effect recoil???

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Chokes effect recoil???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Chokes effect recoil???

I was shooting my mossberg500 at the range about a mounth ago and noticed that when i put a full choke on my 28" barrel, i felt i bit more recoil from shooting the same ammo. This dosnt really make much sense to me.

Am I crazy or do chokes actualy effect the amount of felt recoil, thought id ask you guys who have been shooting for a while. Im new to shotguns in general.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've heard that they do, but I've never really noticed it myself.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

You are restricting the barrel at the muzzle so you are going to get a pressure increase which means a recoil increase. You can really feel it with a slug going through a choke over a cylinder bore.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #4

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

I assume you gentlemen are not from the school of thought that any barrel length past 18" is wasted because the maximum velocity has already been reached. Which of course means that the pressure has dropped to nothing. The maximum pressure for all loads is the same within 2-3/4" and 3" chambers, and the 3-1/2" is higher.
While velocity will continue to increase with most powders I am aware of out to at least 30" in a 12 gauge, the pressure does rapidly decrease down the length of the barrel. If you can detect a difference I would be surprised. You may feel more recoil with a slug because because of the higher velocity with the lighter projectile.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #5

I know a longer barrle gives you more sight radius, it also decreses noise, by about 8 db. Its not going to have a great impact on balistics, but dose it give you ANY increased distance/ tighter pattern to use a longer barrle? The main reason I use a 28" barrle is because it has threads for a choke to screw into that my 18" barrle dosnt have. I didnt notice a difference in shot pattern or recoil from the two barrles when the 28" barrle had no choke screwed in.

Last edited by gunkid9mm; 12-06-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Theoretically the full choke could give more felt recoil than a cylinder bore. As stated, the choking can increase the pressure a bit which would lead to more felt recoil.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Patterns open faster from a shorter barrel. FACT

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #8

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Patterns open faster from a shorter barrel. FACT
Yep. The charge from and 18" barrel will start to open 10" sooner than one from a 28" barrel with the same choke.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #9

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Yep. The charge from and 18" barrel will start to open 10" sooner than one from a 28" barrel with the same choke.
That is ok. I'll stick w/ my 24, 28, and 30" barrels. Just call me slow. The longer sight radius helps w/ accuracy in the field, for me at least. A longer shotgun is also better balanced. To each his own. I bet you would get some strange looks shootin trap w/ an 18" barreled shotgun.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That is ok. I'll stick w/ my 24, 28, and 30" barrels. Just call me slow. The longer sight radius helps w/ accuracy in the field, for me at least. A longer shotgun is also better balanced. To each his own. I bet you would get some strange looks shootin trap w/ an 18" barreled shotgun.
looks? no thay get laughed at ! the right tool for the job. 18 in barrel has its use but not shooting any clay game.imoho load makes a difference in recoil not choke