Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Chokes and barrels - Remington 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Chokes and barrels - Remington 870

Hey everyone,
I'm transferring my Remington 870 Tactical on Monday and it has a Rem Choke barrel and it comes with some sort of flash hider looking thing screwed in, they say it's a choke but I don't think it does any constriction:
http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/choke-tubes/remington-tac-choke-tube.aspx

What are the best choke manufacturers? I've been looking at Carlsons (affordable) and Muller (more expensive).

Also how bad is the accuracy when shooting slugs through a non-rifled barrel? I understand the physics behind it but I've never experimented with it in real life.

Thanks

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-22-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The choke that probably is on it is their breecher choke. Which is cylinder bore. Meaning it matches the size of the barrel it's self. now the question is what are you going to shoot in terms of ammo and how tight of a pattern. Also with slugs. You can go as tight modified choke. I shoot best with modify choke. Which you can use the cylinder bore or improved cylinder.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Last edited by Buckethead47; 04-22-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #3

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ya I realized it was nothing more than a tacticooled cylinder choke (looks cool though )
I still have to pattern the shotgun, I bought a few different brands of 9 pellet buckshots. My goal is obviously to get the tightest pattern possible, I won't really see a difference at the range between different chokes but I'm thinking in the future when I take the shotgun out for some longer distance shooting. How inaccurately would a smooth bore shoot a slug?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-22-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #4

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom
Ya I realized it was nothing more than a tacticooled cylinder choke (looks cool though )
I still have to pattern the shotgun, I bought a few different brands of 9 pellet buckshots. My goal is obviously to get the tightest pattern possible, I won't really see a difference at the range between different chokes but I'm thinking in the future when I take the shotgun out for some longer distance shooting. How inaccurately would a smooth bore shoot a slug?
U should at least be able to shoot a 6" group at 100 and probably a lot tighter than that

Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I shoot 4" patterns with my modified choke (on a good day) at 50 yards. you just just need to find the slugs that work well with your gun and the choke they shoot best with. My problem is after a box of shells at the range and I start to flinch. Thats what causes my pattern to start to open. by shell #10 it will take me around a minute to get the round down range.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also some food for thought. Unless you are hunting farms, sighting you shotgun in at 100 yards may be a bit much. I go down to crab orchard by carbondale. And even though there are some places where it is possible to take that long of a shot, I found that wooded areas you are lucky to get a clear shot 50 yards deep.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #7

Most of my land is wooded and I killed a lot of deer around 100 I just killed one last year that I ranged at 132 yards and I smoked with my smooth bore benelli nova....off a rest using winchester super x slugs using a modified choke I could shoot 3" groups all day long....my dad has an old 870 wingmaster with a smooth 18 1/2 slug barrel that with open sights with shoot 4" groups I believe if it had a scope and you really got down to the nutty gritty it would touch holes a 100.....I sight my guns in for 100 and they usually shoot about 2" high at 50.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It depends on the woods. All my spots are heavy. I like being sighted in at 50. when I have the chance to take longer or shorter shots I can compensate easily. The super x slugs is what my 870 loves. What length shell do you use? I don't use a scope, and never really used open sights. but I'm a big fan of red dots as thats what my grandpa put on the 20 gauge he gave me when I was learning how to hunt. I'm not sure if I like the red dot I have now. It's 2x and it doesn't have the field of view a non magnified dot has.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #9

I use the 2 3/4" I've tried the 3" but I just can't get the grouping that the shorter shells get plus they're cheaper and don't kick as hard lol....I sold my nova and bought a STOEGER m3500 I haven't tried it with slugs yet. If I can find a fully rifled barrel for my wifes 20ga 870 I will probably hunt with it this year.....my STOEGER and the 870 20ga both have red dots right now for turkey season but come deer season they will have scopes....I like red dots but that could be the reason why you aren't shooting a tight group bc it my have a large MOA so the dot may be covering a big area and its hard to precisely shoot with the dot covering 3-4 inches

Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah it's just what I am used to. I use 3 inch but I may try the 2 3/4 see if I can get better. I had the same grouping with the 20 4 to 6 inch at 50 yards. With the 20 the grouping didn't matter my deer went down with a shot threw the heart and lungs. If I had the ability to get the 20 ga. From my grandpa I would use that for deer. But my younger cousins use it now. The 20 is a combo came with a smooth and riffled barrel. A 20 is just as affective as a 12 on deer. I have yet to hunt with my 12 yet.

So back to the op. There are a lot of factors in accuracy. Of a gun. You got to find what works for you and your gun.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Last edited by Buckethead47; 04-22-2012 at 05:46 PM.