Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   chokes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/chokes-72756/)

BWilder 09-19-2012 04:15 AM

chokes

sorry if this is a stupid question, but what can you shoot out of a improved and modifed choke? i assume any kind of round but want to make sure.

robocop10mm 09-19-2012 04:58 AM

Improved is most commonly used for fast, in close birds. IC is great for quail. Gives a bit more spread to improve your hit potential. Modified is the generic, do all choke. Works pretty good for most bird hunting, rabbit, squirrel, etc.

Some defensive shotguns now have IC barrels. A big batch of 870's we got a few years back had IC barrels. They patterned beautifully with buckshot.

Blueguns 09-19-2012 05:10 AM

Cylinder: Skeet

Improved Cylinder: upland game (quail, dove, etc.)

Modified: Pheasant/Duck

Full: Turkey

c3shooter 09-19-2012 11:40 AM

AND- since the question comes up on a regular basis- Yes- you CAN shoot buckshot or rifled slugs thru a modified, IC or full choke. Will not hurt the gun. Expect best accuracy with those using modified.

BWilder 09-19-2012 12:20 PM

thanks guys, i just didnt know much about chokes at all.

Old_Crow 09-20-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 946716)
AND- since the question comes up on a regular basis- Yes- you CAN shoot buckshot or rifled slugs thru a modified, IC or full choke. Will not hurt the gun. Expect best accuracy with those using modified.

My rifled slug barrel is without a doubt a cylinder barrel (no choke). It is more accurate than I am. A modified choke is bound to deform a slug. How is a deformed slug more accurate than a slug with no damage? The same principle applies to buckshot. :confused:

c3shooter 09-20-2012 03:45 AM

Rifled slugs are slightly undersized, hollow, and have thin lead fingers that will permit the slug to be "sized down" in a tight choke. It does not deform the slug. A .357 Magnum "deforms" a bullet by squeezing it thru rifling, no?

Rifled slugs out of a smoothbore are NOT as accurate as sabot slugs from a rifled barrel- but those are two different guns.

An interesting experiment- remove a slug from the shell, and measure it with a mike. Then mike the muzzle of the shotgun. Hmmmm...... slug is generally smaller than the muzzle.

astroman 09-20-2012 03:56 AM

thats interesting - I was just answering on another thread where the OP was asking about slugs thru the barrel and which choke to use - I suggested he do as I did which was pick up a slug barrel with sights on it and switch out barrels as needed...I always figured the chokes would fool with the slugs or vice versa....

BWilder 09-21-2012 01:53 AM

what about sabot slugs threw an unrifled barrel?

BWilder 09-21-2012 01:59 AM

what about sabot slugs threw an unrifled barrel?