Chokes?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Chokes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Chokes?

So I am really new to the shotgun world, just bought a brand new Mossy 500 and it has come with 2 accu-chokes, I honestly don't even know where or how to install it. Also I am not sure which two I would need for hunting dove and turkey. All help is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5913 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 415

typically you need a choke wrench to remove or install them.

looks something along this line:

the tighter the choke the longer out the optimal pattern goes kinda like this:

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Default Chokes

For turkey use a full or extra full choke, check the pattern on several different size shot. I like Federal Mag Shok #4, but 5's or 6's can work also.

For dove use modified or improved cylinder, depending on how close they are flying. If you have to setup away from overhead cover use the modified. If you can set up along a tree line, the IC might be a good choice as you might get some closer shots.

Modified is a good all around choice, for dove, pheasant, etc.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

There should be a choke key with the gun in a small paper bag. I´m using the original modified choke on my Mossy 835 for dove.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

You have been given good advice. This is a link to the owner's manual for your shotgun. Chokes are page 17. http://stevespages.com/pdf/mossberg_535_manual.pdf

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #6

So how are the accu-chokes that came with the gun?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

My 835 came with just the modified choke and I haven't felt a need to get any additional chokes, since I hunt mainly dove with my shotties. I´ve got very good patterns with Winchester 2 3/4" Special Faisan #7 shells and good patterns with Saga 2 3/4" #5 shells.

You just have to test what shells work best for your gun.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 525

They SHOULD be fine, you just need to buy some shells and some targets and check the patterns with each choke and shot size.

For general patterning, a standard target will work. For dove try #8 OR 71/2 Start at 20 - 25 yards and check the pattern by aiming at the center of the target. Back up 5 yards and shoot another target, do this until you are shooting 40 yards or so observing how much the shot spreads and how, if it remains centered on the target, etc. No need to check beyond 40 yards with field loads.

For Turkey shot using magnum loads and full choke it is nice to know what the choke/shot combo does at 50 yards. But my experience is even with 3.5 inch magnum, it is best to let the gobbler get to 40 yards or closer. 30 to 35 is great, close enough for a clean kill far enough for the shot to spread a little. Use a Turkey target so you practice aiming at the gobbler's head.

Unfortunately there is some trial and error involved in finding the best shot, both brand and size, for your gun.

I tried some Winchester Supreme Turkey in an 870 with a Hastings turkey choke and the pattern looked like the end of the barrel had been flattened with a hammer, it shot low and flat. I tried Federal Mag Shok and got a great circular pattern on target with the same choke and gun. I have not tried anything else in the last several years. However I have friends that have had great results with Winchester Supreme.

Moral of the story is you need to shoot the gun with various loads to find out what works. Missing a few dove is something we all have to and can accept, however if you ever call in a nice gobbler and miss because you did not know the pattern of the gun is a horrible experience. Been there and done that!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
They SHOULD be fine, you just need to buy some shells and some targets and check the patterns with each choke and shot size.

For general patterning, a standard target will work. For dove try #8 OR 71/2 Start at 20 - 25 yards and check the pattern by aiming at the center of the target. Back up 5 yards and shoot another target, do this until you are shooting 40 yards or so observing how much the shot spreads and how, if it remains centered on the target, etc. No need to check beyond 40 yards with field loads.

For Turkey shot using magnum loads and full choke it is nice to know what the choke/shot combo does at 50 yards. But my experience is even with 3.5 inch magnum, it is best to let the gobbler get to 40 yards or closer. 30 to 35 is great, close enough for a clean kill far enough for the shot to spread a little. Use a Turkey target so you practice aiming at the gobbler's head.

Unfortunately there is some trial and error involved in finding the best shot, both brand and size, for your gun.

I tried some Winchester Supreme Turkey in an 870 with a Hastings turkey choke and the pattern looked like the end of the barrel had been flattened with a hammer, it shot low and flat. I tried Federal Mag Shok and got a great circular pattern on target with the same choke and gun. I have not tried anything else in the last several years. However I have friends that have had great results with Winchester Supreme.

Moral of the story is you need to shoot the gun with various loads to find out what works. Missing a few dove is something we all have to and can accept, however if you ever call in a nice gobbler and miss because you did not know the pattern of the gun is a horrible experience. Been there and done that!
So my question is, can you check out the patterns of a shotgun at a standard shooting range?

I might just stick with dove, quail and duck until I get ready to turkey hunt.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-Voltaire

Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Have never seen a "standard shooting range". Many indoor ranges do not permit shotguns. At MY outdoor range, better not get caught with anything but a pistol on the pistol line, but at the 25 and 50 yd lines, sure.

You need a place to shoot, large cardboard, and ability to pace off distance.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.