Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Cheek riser for 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Cheek riser for 870

Hey everyone,
I was wondering what's a good cheek riser pad for the 870, I need to add at least .25" (while pressing down with my cheek) in order for my eye to clear the top rail. Right now I need to hold my head slightly up when shooting to see the front sight, not very comfortable and not the best to manage recoil. It'd be cool too if it had rings to hold shells. Has to be black and somewhat comfortable lol.
Thanks

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 05-05-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

I'm confused. Aren't you talking about a shotgun? What are you doing trying to shoot a slug 200 yards?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

I don't really get your question. I'm talking about a Remington 870 Express Tactical:
http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Firearms/Shotguns/Model-870/Model-870-Express-Tactical/870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.ashx

If I press my cheek against the stock comfortably, all I see is the back of the top rail so I need some elevation to be able to see through the ghost ring and see the front sight.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/216122/accu-riser-cheek-pad-strap-on-reviews/reviews.htm

I honestly have never heard of anyone actually using a cheek rest on a shotgun.
Nice gun by the way

Last edited by mountainman13; 05-05-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/216122/accu-riser-cheek-pad-strap-on-reviews/reviews.htm

I honestly have never heard of anyone actually using a cheek rest on a shotgun.
I have a pretty slim facial bone structure. On a plain jane shotgun with no obstruction in the way (rail or rear sight), I wouldn't need a cheek rest. Thanks for the link, I was already looking at it and I guess it's the smartest pick, affordable, apparently durable and well reviewed.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 05-05-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Imo a tactical gun should come to shooting position quickly and easily. You may want to consider changing up the sights. Maybe a reflex?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Imo a tactical gun should come to shooting position quickly and easily. You may want to consider changing up the sights. Maybe a reflex?
I can't really afford making any modification to the shotgun right now, gonna keep it stock. I'm quick at positioning it and aiming it but it'd be a lot more comfortable to have a cheek rest when shooting at the range for extended periods of time.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 05-05-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well I hope that thing works for you. $30 isn't too bad.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Well I hope that thing works for you. $30 isn't too bad.
Thanks, much appreciated

Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You're welcome. My pleasure.