Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Cheap, popular shotgun choices for home defense. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/cheap-popular-shotgun-choices-home-defense-37588/)

fastline 01-29-2011 03:51 AM

Cheap, popular shotgun choices for home defense.

I am looking for a shotgun primarily for defense purposes. Cheap, reliable. I would prefer an auto but I am guessing the reliability will come into question here. Pumps are usually like a rock.

Also, I was wondering what the regs are on what you can/cant do to your shot gun regarding mag tube extensions, pistol grip, shorter barrel, etc. Obviously shorter is more nimble but that the very least I would like a pistol grip and high cap mag.

Again, just looking for cheap here. I would not be using this for hunting or anything but velcro'd to the bed...

Jpyle 01-29-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastline (Post 431998)
I am looking for a shotgun primarily for defense purposes. Cheap, reliable. I would prefer an auto but I am guessing the reliability will come into question here. Pumps are usually like a rock.

Also, I was wondering what the regs are on what you can/cant do to your shot gun regarding mag tube extensions, pistol grip, shorter barrel, etc. Obviously shorter is more nimble but that the very least I would like a pistol grip and high cap mag.

Again, just looking for cheap here. I would not be using this for hunting or anything but velcro'd to the bed...

For an inexpensive, reliable HD shotgun it's hard to go wrong with either a Maverick 88, Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Cheaper guns are available but, in my opinion, you will not get the quality or reliability of the 3 mentioned.

If semi-auto is desirable a Saiga would fill the bill but nothing beats the reliability of a basic pump gun. Barrel length is governed by Fed laws, 18" min barrel length and 26" length overall, otherwise you are in Class III territory. Capacity is typically governed by barrel length, the longer the barrel the more tube you can fit underneath it allowing for added capacity. Mostly you will max out at 8 or 9 + 1. Any more than that and the gun gets a bit front heavy, besides if it doesn't go down after 9 rounds of 00 buck it's time to run...:eek::p

fastline 01-29-2011 04:20 AM

Thanks. With a little thought, it kind of seems like the pump might be a better choice for reliability. I had not looked up the laws on shotguns so thanks for laying that on the table and sounds reasonable.

I have been shooting an 870 for 20 yrs, not one jam. If the 2 pumps you mention, which can you get for a song used? I want to build one up with laser, tac light, pistol grip, etc. Basically a blacked out tactical weapon.

Jpyle 01-29-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastline (Post 432016)
Thanks. With a little thought, it kind of seems like the pump might be a better choice for reliability. I had not looked up the laws on shotguns so thanks for laying that on the table and sounds reasonable.

I have been shooting an 870 for 20 yrs, not one jam. If the 2 pumps you mention, which can you get for a song used? I want to build one up with laser, tac light, pistol grip, etc. Basically a blacked out tactical weapon.

A used Mossy 500 can probably be had for around $150-200 used, maybe lower if you work at it. I got a NIB basic model with 18.5" barrel, synthetic stock, heat shield and pistol grip for $287.00 from Buds.

fastline 01-29-2011 04:46 AM

that is right where I was headed. It looks like they are factory outfitted with what I want. The model I might look for is the "persuader" with the high cap tube, grip, rail, etc. Actually pretty cheap already at 319 new. I would like to snag one for 150ish if possible with some wear. Don't need perfect, just need functional here. Still have to add my accessories anyway.

the seller for me on the 500 was where the4 safety is. The 870 would be a hard reach in a pinch and the 500 ir right on top.