On the Cheap - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

On the Cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2478 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro View Post
We have had Baikals in the UK for quite some time and in the scheme of things they are garbage, OK they are cheap but you get what you pay for.
The quality of the woodwork is at best mediocre - some times you can still see the word "Bananas" through the polish. The blueing frequently turns to browning and needless to say they are worth jack when you try to sell or trade them in. Oh and they are made in Russia.

photopro
Tell us what you really think.

Of course, I don't think we would expect anything else from the UK when it comes to shotguns. Kind of like trying to get the Germans to buy a Japanese car.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
this gun snobbery we still get in the UK still makes my blood boil.
On the Cheap - General Shotgun Discussion

Actually that's not the case very few of the members of our UK hunting forum own a British made shotgun favouring Benelli, Beretta Browning etc etc. Investing a significant amount of money in a showcase firearm is not for the likes of me or most of the people I know. However I value the not frequent enough shooting I manage to sneak away on so much so that I wouldn't trust it to a piece of recycled Russian T70 tank bolted to a chunk of floor board. There are better options than Baikal, secondhand of otherwise, and if it retains more value when you need to trade it doesn't that make more sense ? More bang for your buck ?

photopro

Old 12-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #13

Liked 1128 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro View Post

Actually that's not the case very few of the members of our UK hunting forum own a British made shotgun favouring Benelli, Beretta Browning etc etc. Investing a significant amount of money in a showcase firearm is not for the likes of me or most of the people I know. However I value the not frequent enough shooting I manage to sneak away on so much so that I wouldn't trust it to a piece of recycled Russian T70 tank bolted to a chunk of floor board. There are better options than Baikal, secondhand of otherwise, and if it retains more value when you need to trade it doesn't that make more sense ? More bang for your buck ?

photopro
IMHO you obviously know Jack S**t about Russian weapons. ( piece of recycled Russian T70 tank bolted to a chunk of floor board ) What you are describing here is in fact the one of the most reliable and effective weapons ever produced. The AK47. There is more combined knowledge of weapons on this site than probably anywhere else in the world. I would invite any members with experience of Russian weapons to add their comments.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Looks good to me Jeep. The Russian guns and Turkish guns may not win many beauty contests but they tend to work well for a LONG time. They gobble up abuse.

Please keep us updated with the reliability and durability of your Baikal. I could not care less how the finish holds up, as that is what Aluma Hyde 2 is for.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #15

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Nothing wrong with Baikal. You done good. I personally don't care for synthetic but for the price you can't beat it.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
IMHO you obviously know Jack S**t about Russian weapons. ( piece of recycled Russian T70 tank bolted to a chunk of floor board ) What you are describing here is in fact the one of the most reliable and effective weapons ever produced. The AK47. There is more combined knowledge of weapons on this site than probably anywhere else in the world. I would invite any members with experience of Russian weapons to add their comments.
My Mosin can attest to the reliability of Russian guns...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #17

I have a Baikal IJ 43 "special slug", 22" barrels, Truglo sighting stuff ... It looks solid and I love to use it with less recoil slugs, it is VERY accurate ...

UNPACT (french association )

Last edited by frenchnra; 12-23-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #18

Vey Nice. A real world target from a real world slug gun in the hands of a real world hunter. My dad's Ithaca model 37 deer slayer would do groups like that, but i never could get them that small with my 28 inch modified barrel. So i cut it down to 22 inches cylinder bore and voila! Oh, I haven't been able to read the packing crate words under my synthetic stock finishes either.

I like to shoot my targets with progressively bigger calibers too (see small bullet hole at 5 o'clock)..it makes them last longer. Again, nice target.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #19

Liked 220 Times on 166 Posts

I would remind everyone that the AK-47, the best assault rifle of all time, was a Russian product. It wasn't pretty either, but it worked way better than the Mattel... er... M-16. They had an interesting article in I think the NRA mag when Remington met with them about importing the Spartans. They didn't get the looks issue, at all.
I tried a Stevens 411 12 ga SxS for waterfowl for a short while. It worked every time, auto ejectors and all, and I didn't shoot it too bad, but never felt quite svelte to hand as it were. I liked an old 311 better in the handling department.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
Vey Nice. A real world target from a real world slug gun in the hands of a real world hunter. My dad's Ithaca model 37 deer slayer would do groups like that, but i never could get them that small with my 28 inch modified barrel. So i cut it down to 22 inches cylinder bore and voila! Oh, I haven't been able to read the packing crate words under my synthetic stock finishes either.

I like to shoot my targets with progressively bigger calibers too (see small bullet hole at 5 o'clock)..it makes them last longer. Again, nice target.
Thanks !! But I must confess : for this shoot, I was resting on a table

UNPACT (french association )