Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > On the Cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default On the Cheap

I picked this up about a month ago just on a whim. Wasn't expecting much but I am very pleasantly surprised. This thing eats everything from full on goose loads to reduced recoil junk and everything in between. It can be adjusted for light loads but I haven't bothered. Functions fine so far with everything. It won't win any beauty contests but it's definitely a "worker".

I think Remington bought all the rights to it and they are jacking the price up. Got this one at Dick's ( which I hate) for a shade over $360.00. A good deal for a pretty good shotgun.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Student of mine told me about these guns recently. I hadn't heard of them before. He ordered his through a local dealer and paid right around $300 for it. He claimed that it is a rebadged 1100 with cheaper parts. I haven't handled one but for $300 for an autoloader, might be a pretty good deal if it will hold up.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #3

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts

It is made in Russia, and it is NOT a rebadged 1100. If you like it, fine. Remington was importing them as their Spartan line, but they quit.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Student of mine told me about these guns recently. I hadn't heard of them before. He ordered his through a local dealer and paid right around $300 for it. He claimed that it is a rebadged 1100 with cheaper parts. I haven't handled one but for $300 for an autoloader, might be a pretty good deal if it will hold up.
I would be concerned about a student who claims things without doing research himself. That is not a "rebadged 1100". If it was an 1100 at birth, it would be labeled by Remington as a 1100.

Your student needs to study some more.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Please let us know how it holds up long term. There are some very underrated inexpensive firearms out there. The Bersa Thunder is one that comes immediately to mind.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

i would really love to see a range report on this one. I have a friend that is very interested in purchasing a Baikal.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had an opportunity to pick up a Baikal 12ga. SxS a few years back. I blew it. It was a nice gun, exposed hammers, nice blue, pretty wood and included several chokes. Dang hindsight.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Baikal

We have had Baikals in the UK for quite some time and in the scheme of things they are garbage, OK they are cheap but you get what you pay for.
The quality of the woodwork is at best mediocre - some times you can still see the word "Bananas" through the polish. The blueing frequently turns to browning and needless to say they are worth jack when you try to sell or trade them in. Oh and they are made in Russia.

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 12-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #9

I realize this is an import from Russia. I didn't buy it for a show piece, I bought it so I wouldn't feel bad about laying it down in a slush filled canoe while duck or goose hunting.

I have about three hundred rounds through it with no issues, as mentioned above. The sythentic stocks are just about as "high quality" as any other factory offering, on a shotgun anyway. The blueling on the barrel is thin, but it has gone bang ever time thus far.

Again I bought this as a beater. Cosmetics can be overlooked considering the price. God invented Dura Cote for a reason...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #10

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro View Post
We have had Baikals in the UK for quite some time and in the scheme of things they are garbage, OK they are cheap but you get what you pay for.
The quality of the woodwork is at best mediocre - some times you can still see the word "Bananas" through the polish. The blueing frequently turns to browning and needless to say they are worth jack when you try to sell or trade them in. Oh and they are made in Russia.

photopro
You are correct, by the upmarket British shooting fratterity they where looked down upon, however many a working class lad like myself whilst growing up it was all we could afford. They are simply a typical Russian weapon no frills work horse. I had one for 15 years and it never let me down. I am now in a position where I can afford almost any gun I please but this gun snobbery we still get in the UK still makes my blood boil.