Can you shoot a shotgun under water? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Can you shoot a shotgun under water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The answer is obviously "not yet: the Glock Model F'nbuoy Shotgun isn't due for release until 2015 perhaps."

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-06-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #12

There is a channel on YouTube called demolition ranch. The guy in the videos tests all sorts of gun experiments. I just watched one where he placed just the barrel in only 4 inches of water and fired. The barrel peeled like a banana. DONt DO IT!!! As said before shotgun barrels are not intended for that amount of pressure.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

BTW, even if you do manage to fire it without doing a "Dynamic Diasassembly" of the shotgun- pellets would travel only a few feet- AND- the shock wave gets transmitted thru the water. Including you if you are in the water. Unpleasant at best. Never used the shotgun bangstick, but have used a 44 Mag bangstick. Ow. Owowowowowowow. Whimper.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

I wouldnt advise it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZwV2u2zyU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The "shark getter" is also known as a bangstick. have seen them in different calibers. The powerhead has no real length of barrel- the shell blows shot, wad- and GASSES into the shark.

In the case of a shotgun, say a 12 g- the barrel will likely fill with water. When you fire it, you are trying to move the weight of that water AND the weight of the shot. If I did my math right, you have added about 250 grains of weight (12 g w/ 20 inch bbl)

If the barrel is NOT completely filled with water, but there is a bubble of air in the barrel- when the shot hits the water, it will act as a bbl obstruction. BAD ju-ju.

Remember- shotguns are designed for MUCH lower pressures than rifles and pistols.

Now. somewhere on YouTube there will be someone explaining it can be done. The question is: How many times can you do that before it kills you?
As usual, C3 is dead on with his evaluation. Some things to remember: A pistol or rifle is firing a solid projectile sealed against the sidewall of the barrel. A shotgun firing shot has no such seal. This creates a much different pressure situation (problem?) than the pistols/rifles. Everything depends on how much pressure is exerted against the barrel and breach wall at one time. Underwater, this could be different each time.

You may fire it 100 times with no negative result. However, it could cause it to rupture on the first shot if the pressures are wrong. IF I had to do this, for some life-saving reason, I would use the shortest (2-2 1/2") low-base, low-recoil round I could to reduce pressure. The shotgun and the empty shell should also be checked for signs of high pressure after trying this: cracks or bulging in either, backed out or badly cratered primers means the gun needs to be checked by a professional gunsmith.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

air is compressible, water for all practical purposes is not. All that pressure has to go somewhere.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 941

But the interesting thing here is if the shotgun is completely submerged it is in this 'non compressible' environment!
So will the non compressible fluid support the outside of the gun!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The "shark getter" is also known as a bangstick. have seen them in different calibers. The powerhead has no real length of barrel- the shell blows shot, wad- and GASSES into the shark.

In the case of a shotgun, say a 12 g- the barrel will likely fill with water. When you fire it, you are trying to move the weight of that water AND the weight of the shot. If I did my math right, you have added about 250 grains of weight (12 g w/ 20 inch bbl)

If the barrel is NOT completely filled with water, but there is a bubble of air in the barrel- when the shot hits the water, it will act as a bbl obstruction. BAD ju-ju.

Remember- shotguns are designed for MUCH lower pressures than rifles and pistols.

Now. somewhere on YouTube there will be someone explaining it can be done. The question is: How many times can you do that before it kills you?
my math gives .13 liters, or .13 kg = 2114 grains. This assumes freshwater. Obviously salt water is even heavier.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1972 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Anyone got an old shotgun, a tire, a stock tank or pond, a string and is willing to experiment?????

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #20

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Firing any weapon with a barrel obstruction is an unsafe practice. A 30 inch shotgun barrel filled with 30 inches of water qualifies as obstructed.