Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Can you shoot a shotgun under water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Can you shoot a shotgun underwater?
I've been trying to find the answer online...
I've found a bunch of articles and YouTube videos shooting pistols or rifles underwater, but I've yet to find a SHOTGUN shooting under water.
Is this possible?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

For many years they have used "shark getters" that are basically a short barreled shotgun. They use a 12 gauge shell. It is dangerous to shoot any gun underwater.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4510 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

you can sit on a grenade and pull the pin and wait for it to "hatch" into a goose... prolly not a good idea but you can do it.

same is true with shooting guns underwater. it can be done but like trying to hatch a grenade into a goose its not a wise option for a long and pain free life.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

Liked 844 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Go to the Discovery Channel & ask the Mythbusters..............

When all else fails.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

Liked 844 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 829

I did it! I went to Discovery Channel & ask the Mythbusters, if they can shoot gun/shotgun under water............

When all else fails.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

The "shark getter" is also known as a bangstick. have seen them in different calibers. The powerhead has no real length of barrel- the shell blows shot, wad- and GASSES into the shark.

In the case of a shotgun, say a 12 g- the barrel will likely fill with water. When you fire it, you are trying to move the weight of that water AND the weight of the shot. If I did my math right, you have added about 250 grains of weight (12 g w/ 20 inch bbl)

If the barrel is NOT completely filled with water, but there is a bubble of air in the barrel- when the shot hits the water, it will act as a bbl obstruction. BAD ju-ju.

Remember- shotguns are designed for MUCH lower pressures than rifles and pistols.

Now. somewhere on YouTube there will be someone explaining it can be done. The question is: How many times can you do that before it kills you?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

TekGreg Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have used "bang sticks many times in the water. The 44 and 223 had no protection from the water and the "barrel was about the same length as the shell. We were told to always use nail polish on cartridge ends, never had a failure. The shotgun shell version was in 12 ga and had a throwaway one use plastic cap so NO water was in barrel or around shell. These were not favored since they did much more damage to the fish. When the 223 fired you did not want to be very close as it is quite an experience to hear and feel it go off. Most are restricted use now and have to be carried on an 18 inch spear I guess due to federal firearms laws.
As stated above I would never think of firing a rifle or pistol underwater due to the mass of water in front of what is trying to get out of that barrel! Better left to scuba Rambo!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Scarlet- you are correct- it would otherwise be a Short Barreled Rifle or Short Barreled Shotgun- but the BATF made an exception for powerheads on the end of the long shaft.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome
Can you shoot a shotgun underwater?
I've been trying to find the answer online...
I've found a bunch of articles and YouTube videos shooting pistols or rifles underwater, but I've yet to find a SHOTGUN shooting under water.
Is this possible?
What are you hunting?

No offense and none taken

Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool

What are you hunting?
Nothing. I've just only seem it done with pistols and rifles.
Just simply curious..