Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Can you shoot a shotgun under water? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/can-you-shoot-shotgun-under-water-88148/)

GoGlockOrGoHome 04-04-2013 03:29 PM

Can you shoot a shotgun underwater?
I've been trying to find the answer online...
I've found a bunch of articles and YouTube videos shooting pistols or rifles underwater, but I've yet to find a SHOTGUN shooting under water.
Is this possible?

hiwall 04-04-2013 03:55 PM

For many years they have used "shark getters" that are basically a short barreled shotgun. They use a 12 gauge shell. It is dangerous to shoot any gun underwater.

JonM 04-04-2013 04:04 PM

you can sit on a grenade and pull the pin and wait for it to "hatch" into a goose... prolly not a good idea but you can do it.

same is true with shooting guns underwater. it can be done but like trying to hatch a grenade into a goose its not a wise option for a long and pain free life.

303tom 04-04-2013 04:49 PM

Go to the Discovery Channel & ask the Mythbusters..............

303tom 04-04-2013 04:58 PM

I did it! I went to Discovery Channel & ask the Mythbusters, if they can shoot gun/shotgun under water............

c3shooter 04-04-2013 05:00 PM

The "shark getter" is also known as a bangstick. have seen them in different calibers. The powerhead has no real length of barrel- the shell blows shot, wad- and GASSES into the shark.

In the case of a shotgun, say a 12 g- the barrel will likely fill with water. When you fire it, you are trying to move the weight of that water AND the weight of the shot. If I did my math right, you have added about 250 grains of weight (12 g w/ 20 inch bbl)

If the barrel is NOT completely filled with water, but there is a bubble of air in the barrel- when the shot hits the water, it will act as a bbl obstruction. BAD ju-ju.

Remember- shotguns are designed for MUCH lower pressures than rifles and pistols.

Now. somewhere on YouTube there will be someone explaining it can be done. The question is: How many times can you do that before it kills you?

scarletma 04-06-2013 06:48 PM

I have used "bang sticks many times in the water. The 44 and 223 had no protection from the water and the "barrel was about the same length as the shell. We were told to always use nail polish on cartridge ends, never had a failure. The shotgun shell version was in 12 ga and had a throwaway one use plastic cap so NO water was in barrel or around shell. These were not favored since they did much more damage to the fish. When the 223 fired you did not want to be very close as it is quite an experience to hear and feel it go off. Most are restricted use now and have to be carried on an 18 inch spear I guess due to federal firearms laws.
As stated above I would never think of firing a rifle or pistol underwater due to the mass of water in front of what is trying to get out of that barrel! Better left to scuba Rambo!

c3shooter 04-06-2013 07:00 PM

Scarlet- you are correct- it would otherwise be a Short Barreled Rifle or Short Barreled Shotgun- but the BATF made an exception for powerheads on the end of the long shaft.

MisterMcCool 04-06-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome
Can you shoot a shotgun underwater?
I've been trying to find the answer online...
I've found a bunch of articles and YouTube videos shooting pistols or rifles underwater, but I've yet to find a SHOTGUN shooting under water.
Is this possible?

What are you hunting?

GoGlockOrGoHome 04-06-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool

What are you hunting?

Nothing. I've just only seem it done with pistols and rifles.
Just simply curious..